Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Drawing from pocket holster in car 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:23 pm 
Journeyman Member

Ok, here's something I guess I hadn't thought of before: google: vehicle holster.

Found a couple interesting links. This one:

http://www.buybrownholsters.com/new_products.htm

has an interesting solution. Velcro! Stick one side to the dash and the other side to the back of a flat holster. Pics are towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.holsterusa.com/store/index.p ... evstart=12

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=56747448

Thanks to all of you. I feel like I've been floundering with this issue and though it would be silly to bring it up. I guess most other folks are trying different ideas to see what works too.

I've been trying the leg tuck for a few days and seem to be getting comfortable with it. If I'm on the brakes hard enough to make things fly around the car or making a high-G turn, my right leg is usually planted hard enough that the holster isn't moving. I'm a little worried about someone spotting it since I'm sitting in such a low car, but then I'm not doing anything illegal either so I guess I shouldn't worry too much. Besides, someone would have to be looking for it to notice what it is.

I definately didn't want to try just leaving it on the seat next to me. As relaxed and defensive as I drive most of the time, I still like to have a little fun if I find myself on an open freeway ramp. I've watched my cell phone go sliding numerous times, and I don't want to see a gun go floating away from me! And given the situation above where someone threw his bike in front of the car and assaulted the driver, I would think there's a good chance you'd have to hit the brakes quick to avoid the bike, watch your gun go flying to the passenger floorboard, then what good does it do ya when the guy is at your window??

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the links. The buddy holster looks like quite a reach for me while driving or etc. The velcro idea though ... that could work out real well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

onebohemian - your last post is getting into the correct frame of mind.

With all of the discussions of not being able to do simple things (ie 1911 C1 safety) under stress, how do you find your weapon in a box, cabinet, drawer, center console or secret hidden holster when under stress.

For simplicity, concealability, and unfettered access, I took a cheap Uncle Mikes fabric holster and attached it to my seat belt. My weapon goes from IWB to the seatbelt holster upon entry of the vehicle. It rides just off my lap on the left hip (i'm right handed) and is hidden from outside observance by the door. It works well year around and when not in use no one will even notice it. It makes for a simple semi-cross draw regardless of the approach (drivers door or passenger door) of any potential BG.

Just my humble opinion and an option to consider.............. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Try an Ace Carholster at www.smartcarry.com which is a velcro based holster and pad you mount on your cars. You can buy extra pads for more cars or trucks!

When it is in the coat pocket it works OK.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:06 pm 

My Mika pocket holster fits snugly between the side of my seat and the center console.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

BigRobT wrote:
The only thing I could think of would be a decent shoulder hoster. With my center console, which I wouldn't mind keeping it in there, it just doesn't work for quick and easy access. Perhaps if it opened differently, I don't know. I really don't care to drill holes in any of the plastic in my truck to mount a decent holster.

IMHO, pocket draw is only marginally worse than belt holster draw when seated and buckled up in a car. A shoulder rig is about the best option, at least for the car(s) I've driven -- I'd imagine that seat types, holster types, etc would make a difference.

I did see a slick car holster advertised in American Handgunner, but a quick google search doesn't turn it up, although it does turn up a number of similar options. The one I remember had a couple of different mounting options as well as a concealment cover for bringing the gun in/out of the car or covering it while driving and still allowing access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
Try an Ace Carholster at www.smartcarry.com which is a velcro based holster and pad you mount on your cars. You can buy extra pads for more cars or trucks!

When it is in the coat pocket it works OK.

When I looked at their product spotlights I found http://www.grassburr.com and the desantis sidewinder.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.