Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Naive & Preliminary review:Galco SS2 shoulder holster sy 
 Post subject: Naive & Preliminary review:Galco SS2 shoulder holster sy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

I finally broke down and ordered a shoulder holster, a Galco SS2 system for my Glock 29. I call this a prelimary review, since I've only had it a few days, and naive because my past carry experience has been with a belt holster and I've never used a shoulder holster before.

This is the whole system, straps, holster and dual mag carrier. I also got the ammo side tie-down and the tie-down for no mag carriers, as well as the holster side tie-down.

The leather work appears to be top notch. The holster is well-molded and the straps are an extremely soft leather. The SS2 has the wide straps at the shoulder.

The holster is quite stiff, and I have to wonder if it will ever get soft enough to require the screw-type adjustable retention given the presence of the snap thumb break. It will take quite a bit more "working" as recommended in the manual for draw to be smooth. The mag carriers are even stiffer; they seem to be more generic double-stack carriers and look like they will accomodate taller magazines, like those for the larger G20. I actually removed the retention adjustment spacer and screws in order to flex the leather.

A lot of adjustment is necessary and even after a lot of adjusting I'm not sure I have it "perfect" fit yet. Adjustment is accomplished by moving a set of screws and little sockets that fit pre-punched holes in the shoulder straps.

If there were downsides, I would say that the screw/socket strap adjustments are kind of a pain. They didn't include extras and one almost got away.

The components (holster, mag carrier, and no-mag-carrier tie down) attach to the shoulder straps by threading the straps through swivel keepers on the permanently attached to the components. I think it would have been nicer if there was a removable screw/socket to remove these from the accessories so that other accessories could more easily be substituted. I also got a holster component for my S&W 1066, but I don't relish the idea of disassembling and reassembling the straps (and forgetting the settings) for swapping holsters or for switching between the no-mag-carrier tie down and the mag carrier.

The holster and mag carrier tie dows are easier to add/remove as necessary; I haven't actually put them on as of this point.

On the subject of tie downs, I think a magazine side tie-down seems (at least at this point) seems like a necessity, even with a two full magazines. The tie down seems to help distribute the weight of the gun across both shoulders. I had the no-mag-carrier tie down a little too loose at first, and you really feel the off-balance weight of the gun your shoulder. After I snugged the off side, I could tell I was getting better weight distribution and comfort went way up. The holster side tie down seems kind of superfluous at this point, the gun felt plenty secure and didn't flop around.

So far, I think it will fill a nice niche for winter carriy when a coat or some other covering garment won't be removed (at least not around someone who might care). It's a lot easier to get in/out of the car and access the weapon with a coat on or seated. I think a belt holster is superior for general carry, but there are times where a shoulder holster can offer superior concealment and comfort.

I didn't get any "Sonny Crocket" comments, but my wife did ask me "Who are you? Baretta?" Unfortunately she wasn't amused by my counter-analogy of "James Bond", either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the review. Hope you'll let us know later how it's working for you.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've had it for about 2-3 weeks now and have used it exclusively since then.

Concealment is excellent. I wear a lot of polar fleece stuff (vests and jackets) that I don't unzip or take off inside. Obviously with a real winter jacket you didn't take off it's great. Even with a heavy work shirt worn jacket-ish, I thought it had good concealment.

Good access with said coat/cover on, paritcularly in the car.

I added the dual mag carrier with two mags with 8 rounds each, and this helps balance the rig a lot, but I'm still not certain its a perfect balance as the gun seems to sag a tad over time. The mag carrier also gets out of whack with the seat cushion in my car, leaving the rig a tad cockeyed when I get out.

Overall, I may make an adjustment or two but I think it's about 95% there. I kind of wish they had included an adjustment guide to provide some "how to I fix ...", but the included docs just say "adjust to comfort".

The only down side is that I can't carry with this rig at the range due to range rules. I have to de-holster and re-holster in the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:27 pm 

I use a similar rig for my HK usp.45, but it is an occasional use rig not every day.I used it on a 1800 mile round trip drive to Montana and it was much better than my normal iwb carry which gets uncomfortable after a few hundred miles.
It takes a lot of trial and error to get the adjustments just right.
Let's remember,comfort is relative.I think it was Clint Smith who said a gun on the hip is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.