Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Custom Holsters. 
 Post subject: Custom Holsters.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:57 am 

Hi All,

I would like a specific rig that fits my use exactly, and probably need to order it custom. What I have are two Ballester-Molinas, (actually one is the earlier Ballester-Rigaud from around 1938) basically Colt 1911 clones. Don't want to arouse the whole auto vs. revolver thing, there's another forum for that. I am on a farm, carried a rifle since I was 10, and really appreciate the revolver argument about reliability, don't trust anything that has more moving parts than me. But the Ballesters are very simple, even don't have the grip safety of the Colts, and I do have two if one (rarely) malfunctions. Meanwhile they unload a lot of lead very fast, you know, if you're under stress/surprise and miss the first shot...

What I want is a dual vertical shoulder holster system. There are some nice horizontal tactical rigs, but I am very physically active in my daily routine, and I don't want things swinging around like that. Also, generally I am wearing something heavy enough that a vertical rig can be concealed in public (maybe not this month, but I am pretty far North). I can sacrifice some quickness of draw if it means I can use a shovel freely, or pull weeds on my hands and knees. You might say "why do you need to carry on your own isolated farmland?" There are varmints which steal my chickens and cause other damage, and though the rifle is far better it's impractical to have on my person at all times. There is meaning to the phrase, "The things you see when you don't have a gun!" And of course, we all know that being a victim isn't limited to shopping centers or cities in general.

For familiarity/instinctive use, I believe the weapons on me should be as intimate and unconsciously reflexive as my fingers, so the same one for self-defense. Again, for reasons debatable elsewhere, the two Ballesters I mentioned.

Now I like the look and appearance of comfort that the Jackass system portrays. But we all know things aren't always as portrayed. I would like to know if any of you have ordered custom rigs that you've really been pleased with, especially the same sort of design I'm talking about. I've got lots of spare mags, so if the company you ordered from accommodated that comfortably, all the better.

Dave

-Robert Heinlein, *Starship Troopers*

Know your target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

Sorry the best i could come up with was this http://www.andrewsleather.com/.
But they state, they do custom work:D
Dorian

Post subject: Thanks.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:40 am 

Thanks Dorian,

I will check them out. Nice of you to reply.

Dave

-Robert Heinlein, *Starship Troopers*

Know your target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

Dave,
No problem, I just remembered seeing that site not that long ago.
I have no experience with them. So watch your 6 & ask all the questions first, if you go with them.

If you want a first class custom shop try this one. http://www.delfatti.com
I have a couple of matt's holsters & they need to be seen to be believed.
But there is a wait time to get them.

Be sure to post & let us know how it all works out.
Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dave,

see my recent post (9/22/05) in:

"Local Leather shops with holster experience?", Forum

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.