Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Dakota Co. taking longer than 30 days 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, I am a newish Dakota county resident, and would truely like information on my elected officals. I have had a few people tell me they will not be voting for him, and since this issue is of concern to myself it could sway my opinion of him.
I feel like I am doing him a favor by asking him directly, instead of blindly following the opinions of others. Additonally, it was quite a bit of time ago and I would readily accept a statement of "I said that, but I've changed my mind."
Additionally I had already thanked him for his office's fine service, so I hope my tone was not taken as adversarial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:18 pm 
The Man

All of which seems fair enough.

The sheriff in question, pretty clearly, is a gruff old guy with a not overly thick -- or world-record thin -- skin. I think it's both okay to let his stupid comment of some years ago slide, or to tweak him for it, some.

By and large -- and IMHO, and all -- he's done a pretty good job of carrying out his responsibilities under the Personal Protection Act*, but I don't think it does any harm at all for him to be reminded, from time to time, that some of his employers do have longish memories and that, all in all, it's their call, not his whether or not he has a choice of continuing in office until he wants to retire.

* And I'm not just grading on the curve, and comparing him to Fletcher. If he needed some basic education in the law like Fletcher still does, that bozo in Anoka did, or the one that David Gross has had to spank, repeatedly, I'm unaware of it, and that's not overly likely, but not impossible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wait a sec. Fishing bodies out of the river relates to how he sees his constituents how?

Color me less than impressed. One "pays dues" in service, not length of service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 pm 

I received my Permit from Sheriff Gudmundson in 14 days when I first applied in 2004 and they went out of their way to help me when the state changed my DL# in '05 sending me out a new permit without charge so that I would have all of my paperwork in order with matching numbers when I went out of state. I voted for Gudmundson in '06 and will do so again the next time he is on the ballot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:46 pm 

He may be gruff, but from all I have seen he does an excellent job. His employees are not overly solicitous but neither are they surly. I give him very high marks for answering all the email he gets (most politicians I have written to send me either a canned response, something obviously written by an underling, or no reply at all). The fact that he personally responds, even to email which he may consider an attack, really says something about his character. Most importantly, the officers that work under him appear to respect him.

Considering what a complete pot shot an election is (you never REALLY know the person you are electing), I'll continue to vote for him and give him the benefit of any doubts (unless, of course, he begins to allow his personal convictions to override the law). Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if I may personally disagree with it. I'm sure there are many. many subjects in which he and we would be in perfect agreement.

Clay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 am 
Wise Elder

Last edited by kimberman on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
Ramsey County: 35 days.
Apparently a slow computer interface because no neighborhood interviews.
For me, the NICS check normally takes 1 second after my dealer stops talking.

Must be because you're such a shady character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, my wife just turned in her application this morning. Start your clocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:56 pm 

well i turned mine in the 12th boy the days are moving slow :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:21 pm 

MNsportsman wrote:

I know the feeling waiting is not fun :!:

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of goverment with three little words 'We The People'. We the people tell the government what to do, It doesn't tell us."
The Late Great Ronald Reagan

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Campus Leader-IHCC
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
www.concealedcampus.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

TeamSpringFieldXD wrote:
MNsportsman wrote:

I know the feeling waiting is not fun :!:

It does give you some good time to read (or re-read) a good book... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:01 am 

day 30 mail came and no permit dakota county :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

MNsportsman wrote:
day 30 mail came and no permit dakota county :evil:

MNsportsman, consider sending the sheriff an email and express your pleasure/displeasure with their service. He replied next day when I sent a thank you note, along with an explination/excuse of someone being on vacation for the 26 day wait.

Sheriff Don Gudmundson Don.Gudmundson@co.dakota.mn.us

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Look, there may be a lot of legitimate excuses as to why he can’t get a permit out and to the applicant in less than 30 days but I haven’t heard one yet. Our sheriff also may be very cordial to individuals on this subject or that and he may answer emails in a prompt manner but that is as it should be. He’s an elected official and he knows he can be voted out. He was however against the MPPA when we first passed it, he did not hold carry permit applicants in the highest regard and I have seen no evidence that this has changed. If you are voting for him because he has good manners or answered your email promptly I believe you are voting someone into office that would take your right to carry away if he had the chance. I have heard nothing from him to indicate otherwise. Think about this before you cast your vote next time he runs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

What Joe said.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.