Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 say this. 
 Post subject: say this.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

What am I missing here? It's just a prompter...I see them all the time in the broadcast world... :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:41 pm 

All your questions on this topic are answered here:

http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm not saying I agree with his policies, but at least this one can read.

Yeah, I think BOTH parties are full of it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

When you say "this one" do you mean this man of color? Do you mean this liberal? Or do you mean this president. If it's the later, this constant comparing of the "Great One Obama" over Bush the idiot is getting boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
When you say "this one" do you mean this man of color? Do you mean this liberal? Or do you mean this president. If it's the later, this constant comparing of the "Great One Obama" over Bush the idiot is getting boring.

It's the latter, and I'll continue to be boring / insist on fair play.

I just fail to see the point of attacking the man for teleprompter use when there are so many more LEGIT reasons to oppose him. It's the kind of juvenile crap the antis pull, and I'd like to have more respect for our community than that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 am 
The Man

mrokern wrote:
gunflint wrote:

I just fail to see the point of attacking the man for teleprompter use when there are so many more LEGIT reasons to oppose him. It's the kind of juvenile crap the antis pull, and I'd like to have more respect for our community than that.
Fair enough.

Let me try it this way: Obama has built up a reputation as a terrific speaker and thoughtful man largely through his ability to do a terrific dramatic reading from a TelePrompter, and there's no question he plays it like Paganini did a violin. But when the switch goes off, what's left is a guy who, when he speaks extemporaneously, speaks haltingly, with more verbal gaffes than anybody this side of George Bush and Joe Biden.

That's a pretty serious failing. Not the ability to use the gimmick; the being lost without it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:24 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
mrokern wrote:
gunflint wrote:

Fair enough.

Let me try it this way: Obama has built up a reputation as a terrific speaker and thoughtful man largely through his ability to do a terrific dramatic reading from a TelePrompter, and there's no question he plays it like Paganini did a violin. But when the switch goes off, what's left is a guy who, when he speaks extemporaneously, speaks haltingly, with more verbal gaffes than anybody this side of George Bush and Joe Biden.

That's a pretty serious failing. Not the ability to use the gimmick; the being lost without it.

I'll agree, and his chief of staff is even worse (that had to be the most painful "Face the Nation" I've ever watched).

I'm far more concerned about the state politics at the moment. I don't know if everyone knows exactly how far down the GOP truly is in the MN House and Senate (I know all too well, I threw my hat in the ring for CoS positions in both GOP caucuses...not that I had a chance as a non-insider), but it is downright scary.

Obama doesn't actually scare me. PELOSI scares me. Obama can only harm me by rubber stamping crap that Congress puts in front of him, but with Pelosi running the show that exact scenario becomes more likely by the day.

The good news? If things continue down this path, we'll see a conservative revolution similar to that of 1994. Our system is not made for single party control, and it backfires every time.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Obama doesn't actually scare me. PELOSI scares me. Obama can only harm me by rubber stamping crap that Congress puts in front of him, but with Pelosi running the show that exact scenario becomes more likely by the day.

:shock:

You must be joking, Right? The president has much more power than the speaker of the house. The president can use his bully pulpit. He can appoint judges. He is head of the military. He can get way more press than the speaker of house at any time.

They BOTH have me seriously concerned. I would not say scare though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
mrokern wrote:

:shock:

You must be joking, Right? The president has much more power than the speaker of the house. The president can use his bully pulpit. He can appoint judges. He is head of the military. He can get way more press than the speaker of house at any time.

They BOTH have me seriously concerned. I would not say scare though.

Nope, not joking. The President only has the bully pulpit and the press. Appointing judges doesn't happen without approval from Congress. There has to be at least tacit cooperation from Congress for military action (it should be more than that, but it's not how things have been working).

Our culture gives far too much attention to the President, which is what creates the power. The Constitution certainly doesn't.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Nope, not joking. The President only has the bully pulpit and the press. Appointing judges doesn't happen without approval from Congress. There has to be at least tacit cooperation from Congress for military action (it should be more than that, but it's not how things have been working).

Our culture gives far too much attention to the President, which is what creates the power. The Constitution certainly doesn't.

-Mark

He also has the ability to tell all of the wonderful federal organizations how to do their jobs. "Hey, Joe, run down to the ATF and tell them to get ridiculously strict!"

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
I'm far more concerned about the state politics at the moment. I don't know if everyone knows exactly how far down the GOP truly is in the MN House and Senate (I know all too well, I threw my hat in the ring for CoS positions in both GOP caucuses...not that I had a chance as a non-insider), but it is downright scary.

-Mark

I totally agree - at our recent BPOU meeting the entire board was replaced by - 'moderates' seems me and many others in the group have been deemed too conservative and have been ran out of the bpou.

Elections for State Central Commitee were proceeded with "the main business is setting the MNGOP budget" they neglected to mention to the attendees that at State Central the leader of the MNGOP is choosen.

Good luck to them - they have now kicked out the fired up base and are left with people who are not so passionate about pesky things like the Constitution, BOR, Liberty, Freedom - now they have people that just want to get elected! Much easier to control these people - they don't have independant thoughts... :shock:

While the base is screaming - Government tighten your belt along with us! our Rep is standing outside T-paw door with her hand out... Good luck getting the base to support you in just over a year!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:20 pm 
Journeyman Member

Has anybody ever tried to demand drug and phyc testing prior to holding office? I think some, (speaker of the house) is not in full control of her faculties.

On another note;
What can we do to those elected officials that violate their oath of office? Legally I don't believe there is any repercussions.

Bersa Thunder 380
Beretta 92FS
Smith and Wesson M&P15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
From the UK: the Evening Standard reports
link
Accompanying [Obama] will be a total of 500 officials including kitchen staff, 35 vehicles in all, four speech writers and 12 teleprompters.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:03 am 
Journeyman Member

I can see he's doing his part to cut wastefull government spending.

Bersa Thunder 380
Beretta 92FS
Smith and Wesson M&P15

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.