Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:19 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 LCD Monitor Recommendations? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Biggest trouble I'm having is Tiger's best prices usually take into account a rebate that has a limit of one per household and I need three of these things.

Walmart has one called an IC Power 19" for $169. Heard anything about these? I missed buying them when they were $149 and were offering free shipping to the local store. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Suggestions on the monitor itself
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

chuckw wrote:
Unless you have a LCD-ready PC (with a DVI connector) I would recommend a non-widescreen version.

The widescreens are non-standard resolutions, and a normal VGA output won't be able to run at that resolution. So you are forced to pick a different resolution, and let the monitor "scale" the pixels... You end up with a horizontally stretched image.

I don't think that's true.

There's nothing physical that prevents a video card from sending 1440 pixels per scan line. It does what the driver software tells it to do. And it may be that older drivers don't offer you widescreen resolutions, the newer drivers do.

Me, I run Linux - and the GUI configuration tools didn't offer widescreen resolutions. So I hacked xorg.conf directly, pulling the specs out of the monitor's manual, and ended up with a nice crisp 1440x900.

Last edited by jdege on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:02 am 
Journeyman Member

Micro Center on Hwy. 169 at 36 St. is where I'd go look. They match most online prices and if something goes bad, well they're easy to get to.

It really helps to see the monitor your thinking of as every companies LCD's have differing color profiles. BTW IMO the best and most accurate monitors on the market to day are from Apple. They are a bit higher priced though.

DeanC wrote:
Biggest trouble I'm having is Tiger's best prices usually take into account a rebate that has a limit of one per household and I need three of these things.

Walmart has one called an IC Power 19" for $169. Heard anything about these? I missed buying them when they were $149 and were offering free shipping to the local store. :oops:

"Those that give up Freedom for security, will soon have no freedom or security"

Ben Franklin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:26 am 
Longtime Regular

vonKrag wrote:
Micro Center on Hwy. 169 at 36 St. is where I'd go look. They match most online prices and if something goes bad, well they're easy to get to.

It really helps to see the monitor your thinking of as every companies LCD's have differing color profiles. BTW IMO the best and most accurate monitors on the market to day are from Apple. They are a bit higher priced though.

DeanC wrote:

Should be Hwy 100 and 36th Street in St. Louis Park

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject: Re: LCD Monitor Recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:36 am 
Journeyman Member

ironbear wrote:
The one thing I've noticed is that LCD monitors seem to have a bit of an "off" color if you are doing photo work.

We used to use a product similar to this a few years ago:
http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profi ... jsp?id=581

I think we had an older version we used with our PC's. Took a bit to set up, but the results were worth it. Not that I'm trying to hijack the thread, but we haven't had to use any color correction devices since we switched to a Mac. We were able to fiddle with the colors and get them close enough for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I just "stole" a 19" from Office Depot for $112 (after rebates) It's an HP. It was a closeout. Prices sure have come down. The first 19" LCD cost me $600 :shock:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:01 pm 
Journeyman Member

jac714 wrote:
vonKrag wrote:
Micro Center on Hwy. 169 at 36 St. is where I'd go look.

Snip

:oops:

Should be Hwy 100 and 36th Street in St. Louis Park[/quote]

Your correct, sorry about that.

"Those that give up Freedom for security, will soon have no freedom or security"

Ben Franklin

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.