Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Are you Training???? ..... Rent a Classroom !!! 
 Post subject: Ruling requested
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:41 am 

joelr wrote:
It's pretty clear, I think. Bill's has an idiosyncratic and fairly unusual definition of "firearms training", which includes a couple of people sitting at a table, talking about matters of mutual interest and going over some paperwork for a few minutes, while planning to go out on the range sometime after that.

That's okay; Bill's is entitled to its own definitions for what goes on at Bill's, and can restrict "training" -- by their definition -- at Bill's.

Where I think -- and here I am most definitely putting on my moderator's/administrator's hat -- it's not okay is when Dr. B applies that unusual definition to what goes on outside of Bill's, and suggests -- inappropriately -- that it's "unprofessional" to sit at a table, talking about matters of mutual interest and going over some paperwork for a few minutes.

That goes -- slightly, but definitely -- over the line into the realm of personal attack, and I hope it is the sort of thing that won't be repeated.
Mr. Administrator, I need a ruling. Is it permissable here to point out that the restriction of "training" at BillsGunRange seems to be in accord with the claims made in September that under the new regulations after October 1 there would be only two certified organizations in the state of Minnesota and that this would be a "business opportunity" for both organizations? (Bills and AACFI.) Is it also permissable to point out that the new regulations came out of the sheriffs association meetings in which both BillsGunRange and AACFI participated? Is it permissable to suggest that what you call the "braggadocio" (sp?) by a Bills employee sounds like something an employee who had been given the impression that Bills would have a monopoly on training might say?

If so, is it also permissable to draw inferences from that?

Post subject: Re: Ruling requested
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:22 am 
The Man

certified instructor wrote:
joelr wrote:
It's pretty clear, I think. Bill's has an idiosyncratic and fairly unusual definition of "firearms training", which includes a couple of people sitting at a table, talking about matters of mutual interest and going over some paperwork for a few minutes, while planning to go out on the range sometime after that.

That's okay; Bill's is entitled to its own definitions for what goes on at Bill's, and can restrict "training" -- by their definition -- at Bill's.

Where I think -- and here I am most definitely putting on my moderator's/administrator's hat -- it's not okay is when Dr. B applies that unusual definition to what goes on outside of Bill's, and suggests -- inappropriately -- that it's "unprofessional" to sit at a table, talking about matters of mutual interest and going over some paperwork for a few minutes.

That goes -- slightly, but definitely -- over the line into the realm of personal attack, and I hope it is the sort of thing that won't be repeated.
Mr. Administrator, I need a ruling. Is it permissable here to point out that the restriction of "training" at BillsGunRange seems to be in accord with the claims made in September that under the new regulations after October 1 there would be only two certified organizations in the state of Minnesota and that this would be a "business opportunity" for both organizations? (Bills and AACFI.)
I'm not sure what the connection between the two might be, but sure. Just because I don't see the connection doesn't mean that you can't argue that there is one.

That said, it's worth noting that regardless of what anybody said back in September, there are almost forty certified organizations now, and October isn't over.
Quote:
Is it also permissable to point out that the new regulations came out of the sheriffs association meetings in which both BillsGunRange and AACFI participated?
Well, it's permissable -- but it's not quite accurate. Close, though. The secret meetings at the MSA produced a set of recommended regulations; the ones actually adopted and in force are a bit different -- both in letter and, I think, very much different in spirit.
Quote:
Is it permissable to suggest that what you call the "braggadocio" (sp?) by a Bills employee sounds like something an employee who had been given the impression that Bills would have a monopoly on training might say?
Sure. But -- regardless of what impression a Bill's employee has or doesn't have -- there is no monopoly, or anything close to it. I'm certified by three different organizations, myself, and may pick up a couple more before the end of the year.
Quote:
If so, is it also permissable to draw inferences from that?
Sure. Infer away -- just be polite when you do it, and don't engage in personal attacks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ya'll still going on about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:54 pm 
on probation

Macx wrote:
YES thats because we up here in Minnesota don't have a life :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:58 pm 

lastgunshop wrote:
Macx wrote:

:roll: That's why we spend all our free time in this damn forum :roll: lol

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:00 pm 
on probation

durbin6 wrote:
lastgunshop wrote:
Macx wrote:

:roll: That's why we spend all our free time in this damn forum :roll: lol
You are SO RIGHT :!:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:42 am 
Delicate Flower

Wait till winter sets in.......way too much time :) :) :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:36 am 
The Man

Macx wrote:
Well, yeah, depending on your values of "this." I think that's okay, myself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Setting the record straight.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:42 am 
The Man

joelr wrote:
[Update: I've sent a query to Jim Franklin; I'll let you know what he responds.]
I did get a response from Jim Franklin, which was reassuring in some ways, and unhelpful in others. I've asked his permission to post his email -- in its entirety -- here, and we'll see what he says.

Without quoting his email, though, I think it's fair to say that his position is that he didn't intend to have his kind words about Bill's -- as well as several other organizations' -- materials twisted into some sort of endorsement of Bill's, as apparently happened.

Which -- speaking on behalf of me, myself, and I -- was, I think, unfortunate.

I don't have any doubt that Bill's does a fine job of teaching shooting skills, and am sure that their classes can stand on their own merits, without puffery.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:12 pm 

Well unless they've dramatically improved their standards of training material I find laughable the suggestion that Bill's materials would be chosen over any other materials. I'm just a civilian, not a trainer, but when I got my carry permit training at Bills I was very disappointed in the quality of their printed materials. Full of typos, and not very professional looking. Couldn't hold a candle to Joel's book. The instuctor himself was OK though.

My experience with Bill's is that they seem to have inconsistent training of their staff. I once called them to inquire about renting a particular gun. They assured me they had just what I wanted, and told me to come on down and try it out. I invested a stressful drive through rush hour traffic (in the rain) to do so. After luring me down there they informed me they wouldn't rent to me because I was alone, and didn't yet have a permit. :x I asked them why they hadn't told me of this requirement on the phone... they didn't have an answer for this :x :x I explained that while I didn't have the permit yet, I'd completed training (at Bill's!). No dice :x :x :x I asked them why another Bill's employee had rented to me just a month prior, without requiring me to have a permit or a baby sitter, "well he shouldn't have" (therefore my assertion on their inconsistent training) :evil: :evil: :evil: Bye bye Bill's. Bought my gun (the one I tried to rent) from Mark K. instead :lol:

As to the above questions on the Braemar range... they are open to the public, but they don't make it easy. I'll start a new thread on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

joelr wrote:
grayskys wrote:
After reading the 1st post from ttousi and the reply from Dr. B I guess I have some questions:

1) Since when does going over a few forms and chatting equal training?
My own guesses, with my moderator/administrator hat clearly off: They get to decide what constitutes "training."

My take on it is that (based on the initial post) there were two people talking and shuffling paper at a table. It wasn't clear whether there was training going on, so the employee asked. The answer, somewhat equivocal, was taken to be "yes", so they were told they needed to rent a classroom to do training. Had the answer been "No, we're just chatting about a new organization; we'll be shooting in 10 minutes" there would have been no problem.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.