Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:37 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Tivo 
 Post subject: Tivo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:23 pm 

I'm looking into getting Tivo. Does anyone here have any input? What do you like about it? Dislike about it? I understand it is possible to make DVD's of your Tivo recordings by transferring them to your PC. Has anyone done this? Is it fairly simple? How is the quality?

Any information from your experience with Tivo would be great.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:18 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

There are Tivos that have DVD burners in them. I don't know about connecting to the computer...

http://www.tivocommunity.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:43 am 

I'd look through all the features of the service and see how many of them you are really going to use. For most people a simple dvd burner and some rw discs will work as well as the service. I had a ReplayTV for about 5 months before Comcast offered their DVR service where I live, it worked but there were things I wish I could have had that I didn't. With the standalone services you can't watch one channel while recording another or record two channels at the same time, both of which you should be able to do with a DVR from a cable or satellite company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a Toshiba sd-H400 model. It is not the best available but it is one of the 2 that has what is called Tivo Basic. You get a 3day guide for free. You do not get all the premium features unless you pay the tivo monthly fee. I like having the option of not paying their fee. I have had a subscrition but canceled and we have not missed the advanced feature so I just kept the basic service.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular

There are also website that help someone hack (legally are the one I am refering to) your tivo to give you more features they are pretty technical but would be easy if you know unix language. This is where alot of the newer tivo feature were first developed. Now tivo offers many of them with their service. They have made it harder to do yourslef though so I have not done that for a few years. Good luck. You will never be without some sort of DVR once you get one. It will change how you watch tv. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:48 am 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll be going the Tivo route and hooking it into my home network. I'm going to stay away from a unit that includes a DVD burner since I can do it right from my PC.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.