Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Protest signs banned at State Fair - this can't be legal! 
 Post subject: Protest signs banned at State Fair - this can't be legal!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:37 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.startribune.com/stories/611/5594888.html

Quote:
He makes sure that fair's fair at the fair
Paul Levy, Star Tribune
September 4, 2005

Bob Jackson is about to judge the State Fair's latest battle of the bands, but the tune is all too familiar.

Two neighboring food vendors, who lure customers with live music, had agreed at the fair's start not to blast music at the same time. But they do anyway. And now one has complained to fair officials.

"I'm probably one of the few people who loses weight at the fair," says Jackson, one of four "space checkers" who walk the fairgrounds 12 hours a day -- about 10 miles each day -- mediating disputes between vendors, removing bumper stickers from poles and keeping booth occupants within their boundaries.

"Space encroachment," Jackson explains. "An inch is everything to these people."

Nobody is allowed to cross these invisible but well-defined lines.

Jackson said that three years ago he chastised Sen. Norm Coleman, running for office at the time, for straying beyond his booth to hand out brochures.

Dressed in shorts, athletic shoes, sunglasses and occasionally puffing on a cigar, Jackson appears as relaxed as any other fair browser. Only the identification tag dangling from a necklace gives him away.

He approaches two men, near Kennedy's booth, holding signs that read "Quit Ducking the Issue, Hands Off Our Social Security." Signs of protest aren't allowed at the fair, he explains to Zach Rodvold, a sign carrier who tells Jackson he's state director for Minnesota United to Protect Social Security.

"He's doing his job and we're doing our job," says Rodvold, who tucks his sign under his arm and walks away.

Everyone complies with Jackson. If they hope to return to the fair, what other choice do they have? But many of the excuses are choice.

As we've discussed, the Fair sure as hell is a public space, publicly funded, on public property. How the hell can they ban peaceful speech?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:19 am 
Longtime Regular

I think they want to stop protestors from roaming around a ruining visitors’ time at the fair since no one goes there for that. You can rent a space for a booth or signs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:55 am 

Actually this was decided in a court case over 10 years ago. I ran into a similar issue a few years ago while running for office at the State Fair and the Ramsey County Fair.

Quote:
On June 22, 1981, the Supreme Court decided the case of Heffron, the secretary and manager of the Minnesota State Agricultural Society, v. ISKCON 48 [Hare Krishna].

Minnesota State Agricultural Society operates the Minnesota state fair. They have a rule mandating that all groups or persons wishing to sell or distribute materials must have a license and do so from a fixed location. However, groups may verbally communicate their message throughout the fair. ISKCON alleged that the mandate violated their First Amendment rights because it suppressed the practice of Sankirtan, a religious ritual that enjoins its members to go into public places to distribute or sell religious literature and to solicit donations for the support of the Krishna religion.

The Supreme Court decided that the restriction of ISKCON to a fixed location was a valid provision in light of the circumstances of the number of people and space restrictions. Furthermore, because the regulation applied to all organizations, ISKCON must follow [the fair rules].

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Actually this was decided in a court case over 10 years ago.

IASAHNAL, but I don't think "wishing to sell or distribute materials" is nearly the same as carrying a protest sign.

Any legal eagles have any insight?

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:37 pm 

Well you can talk to the Ramsey County Attorney and the MN AG, that's who referred me to the Krishna case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Doesn't bother me.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:32 am 

One of the reasons I stay away from the state fair is BECAUSE of all the political items you see at every turn.

Sometimes its just nice to go out to have fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.