Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A whole another can of worms 
 Post subject: A whole another can of worms
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 pm 
Journeyman Member

Have any of you instructors considered a reduced price for those of us who would like to take your course too, in addition to another instructor’s class? You would not have to issue certificates, nor qualification exercise, so you would offer your wisdom only.

If this is a politically incorrect question, feel free to flame me.

P.S. How does the management feel about reserving one tiny thread under Training and Education for good gun-related links?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think some instructors have even offered to not charge people who wanted to audit their class. If you want the certificate, that costs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A whole another can of worms
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:57 pm 
The Man

ein brera wrote:
Have any of you instructors considered a reduced price for those of us who would like to take your course too, in addition to another instructor’s class? You would not have to issue certificates, nor qualification exercise, so you would offer your wisdom only.

If this is a politically incorrect question, feel free to flame me.

Perfectly fair question, although I'm not shy, and -- quick demonstration of my lack of shyness -- unfond of the suggestion that political correctness is a policy here.

I offer a $50 discount for people who have a carry permit but haven't yet taken my class, and a $100 discount for my students who want to take it again, whether for a renewal or just as a refresher. Details at the obvious place. (And, yes, somebody who has taken another class, and then taken my class is one of "my students" for purposes of further refreshers after that.)

I do issue certificates in such cases, although I don't insist that folks take them. Shooting a qual is, of course, optional -- unless, also of course, you want a certificate. (I won't issue a MN certificate without a qual, for the obvious reasons: it's wrong, and it's fraud.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:59 pm 
The Man

And, just to add on: I strongly encourage folks who have taken an inadequate class to take a good one. My encouragement and four bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Donate $50 to the MADFI permit denial legal fund and you can sit in on my class and do a good deed at the same time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:36 pm 

I have to admit I'm considering allowing my permit to expire because resources are tight right now. I originally took Joel's course and even attended his class again a couple of years ago when a friend didn't want to go alone (I paid for a certificate for a utah permit). Back then with a different job it was easy to invest in my education, unfortunately now, not so much.

I have to admit, Joel's heavy discount to previous students is rather tempting...

I also considered finding the absolute cheapest class I could find (so far that's $75) and then audit a more respected instructor's class but in the end I considered that unethical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Fubar wrote:
I also considered finding the absolute cheapest class I could find (so far that's $75) and then audit a more respected instructor's class

It is possible to do both at the same time at that price.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:03 am 
Journeyman Member

<B>DeanC</B>

I was kind of hoping that would be the case; again, I think above my pay grade (the more education the better).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:04 am 
Journeyman Member

<B>Joelr</B>

Sorry to disturb your harmony. [Note to self: strike 9.] :oops:

I am pretty sure that one day I’ll take your class. I thank you for your offer.

One more thing, how does the management feel about adding a link collection to the Training and Education section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:05 am 
Journeyman Member

<B>Andrew Rothman</B>

Quote:
Donate $50 to the MADFI permit denial legal fund and you can sit in on my class and do a good deed at the same time.

Mr. Rothman, that was such a kind gesture that I decided to send my donation to MADFI regardless (whether or not my schedule ever agrees with yours). What is the address fo MADFI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Re auditing for info only (not for paperwork etc)...

Subject to space being available, that has been my policy since day #1. All we ask is for any range or classroom fee that we are charged be reimbursed.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:56 am 

Fubar wrote:
I have to admit I'm considering allowing my permit to expire because resources are tight right now. I originally took Joel's course and even attended his class again a couple of years ago when a friend didn't want to go alone (I paid for a certificate for a utah permit). Back then with a different job it was easy to invest in my education, unfortunately now, not so much.

I feel that pain, as that is a key factor for me. That and scheduling. I'm still hoping to renew; I have a couple offers via PM (thanks!) and know hot to find schedules for others here. Having just bought a house and spending a lot of additional money for appliances and paint, and recent body work on one of the car's has me quite strapped for cash for a bit.

Minneapolis Police/Fire Dispatcher

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:10 am 

ein brera wrote:
<B>Andrew Rothman</B>

Quote:
Donate $50 to the MADFI permit denial legal fund and you can sit in on my class and do a good deed at the same time.

Mr. Rothman, that was such a kind gesture that I decided to send my donation to MADFI regardless (whether or not my schedule ever agrees with yours). What is the address fo MADFI?

IMO i feel a strong sense of Sarcasm...I could be wrong its happened before but....

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of goverment with three little words 'We The People'. We the people tell the government what to do, It doesn't tell us."
The Late Great Ronald Reagan

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Campus Leader-IHCC
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
www.concealedcampus.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:11 am 
Longtime Regular

ein brera wrote:
<B>Joelr</B>

Sorry to disturb your harmony. [Note to self: strike 9.] :oops:

I am pretty sure that one day I’ll take your class. I thank you for your offer.

One more thing, how does the management feel about adding a link collection to the Training and Education section?

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:12 am 
Longtime Regular

TeamSpringFieldXD wrote:
ein brera wrote:
<B>Andrew Rothman</B>

Quote:

IMO i feel a strong sense of Sarcasm...I could be wrong its happened before but....

Nah, it's serious. Address sent. Thanks, Mr. Brera. Anyone else who would like to chip in a few bucks is also welcome to.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.