Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hee hee hee. 
 Post subject: Hee hee hee.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:42 pm 
The Man

http://nevergetbusted.com/v2/node/176

What are the odds that the Odessa cops fudged the warrant application?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hee hee hee.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
http://nevergetbusted.com/v2/node/176

What are the odds that the Odessa cops fudged the warrant application?

Put me down for 10 McNuggets on YES the warrant was fudged.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

The site is down, due to high traffic. You can paste the URL into Google to see a cached version, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I assume this is the same story.
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/130429.html?success=1#

Quote:
Like Mark Draughn, I've been somewhat skeptical of Barry Cooper, the former drug cop turned pitchman for how-to-beat-the-cops videos. He comes off as more of a huckster than a principled whistle-blower, which I think does the good ideas he stands for (police reform) more harm than good.

But damn. I have to hand it to him. This might be one of the ballsiest moves I've ever seen.

KopBusters rented a house in Odessa, Texas and began growing two small Christmas trees under a grow light similar to those used for growing marijuana. When faced with a suspected marijuana grow, the police usually use illegal FLIR cameras and/or lie on the search warrant affidavit claiming they have probable cause to raid the house. Instead of conducting a proper investigation which usually leads to no probable cause, the Kops lie on the affidavit claiming a confidential informant saw the plants and/or the police could smell marijuana coming from the suspected house.

The trap was set and less than 24 hours later, the Odessa narcotics unit raided the house only to find KopBuster’s attorney waiting under a system of complex gadgetry and spy cameras that streamed online to the KopBuster’s secret mobile office nearby.

To clarify just a bit, according to Cooper, there was nothing illegal going on the bait house, just two evergreen trees and some grow lamps. There was no probable cause. So a couple of questions come up. First, how did the cops get turned on to the house in the first place? Cooper suspects they were using thermal imaging equipment to detect the grow lamps, a practice the Supreme Court has said is illegal. The second question is, what probable cause did the police put on the affidavit to get a judge to sign off on a search warrant? If there was nothing illegal going on in the house, it's difficult to conceive of a scenario where either the police or one of their informants didn't lie to get a warrant.

Cooper chose the Odessa police department for baiting because he believes police there instructed an informant to plant marijuana on a woman named Yolanda Madden. She's currently serving an eight-year sentence for possession with intent to distribute. According to Cooper, the informant actually admitted in federal court that he planted the marijuana. Madden was convicted anyway.

The story's worth watching, not only to see if the cops themselves are held accountable for this, but whether the local district attorney tries to come up with a crime with which to charge Cooper and his assistants. I can't imagine such a charge would get very far, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try.

Here's some local media coverage:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Cooper suspects they were using thermal imaging equipment to detect the grow lamps,

Hey we (taxpayers) bought one of those too!
MN State Patrol Airwing
Quote:
The FLIR [Forward Looking Infrared] consists of an imager mounted on the belly of the helicopter and a monitor in the cockpit. The imager senses differences in temperatures. A picture of what the infrared views is seen on the monitor in the cockpit. The infrared equipment can see many things in the dark that are invisible to the naked eye The State Patrol's FLIR is often requested by law enforcement agencies statewide and has assisted law enforcement in western Wisconsin.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:34 am 
Longtime Regular

In fairness, the main use of the IR-equipped copter is night pursuits, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07powj1mhZI

(Warning: there's a graphic suicide (in infrared) at the one minute mark.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:37 am 
The Man

I think, by and large, gun people should find it easy to understand that a tool can be used for both good and bad things. FLIR can be used, for example, to find lost hikers or follow fleeing criminals at night.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

I like the idea of a thermally insulated shield within the walls of a house, augmented with a wiring grid that keeps the visible temperature a balmy 110 degrees, so as to mask the heat signature of any potential occupants of the house.

It would be cheaper than a freon cooling jacket (or whatever the environmentally friendly alternative to freon is these days).

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
In fairness, the main use of the IR-equipped copter is night pursuits, like this:

At the end you can also see the k-9 laying a steamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:53 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
At the end you can also see the k-9 laying a steamer.

Oh now I *gotta* watch. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:
I like the idea of a thermally insulated shield within the walls of a house...

Yea, I like that idea too! This guy can help... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:
...to freon is these days).
I'm curious as to what a set of IR LED flashing Christmas lights would look like to FLIR! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:26 am 
Longtime Regular

ironbear wrote:
Binky .357 wrote:
...to freon is these days).
I'm curious as to what a set of IR LED flashing Christmas lights would look like to FLIR! :twisted:

Heh.

I have a few IR LED floodlights on order. Makes me want to ask the local PD to take a look though the FLIR.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Was in a foot pursuit the other night with several who ran from a party where sub-adults were drinking adult beverages. (Please remember to keep the noise level down, and the neighbors won't complain.) I would love to have the angel in the chopper telling me not to go over the fence cause the guy's got a gun.

OTOH, we DO have a handheld thermal imager. It works really well..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
In fairness, the main use of the IR-equipped copter is night pursuits...

I use to work with (kindof) the MNSP Airwing guys and they mostly used the FLIR for patroling high crime areas during peak crime times. They called them "FLIR Patrols." One time they got a call that a toddler was lost in a wallmart parking lot. They used the FLIR to find the kid.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.