Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Open Carry and the Little "CCW Badge" 
 Post subject: Open Carry and the Little "CCW Badge"
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 pm 

Serious Disclaimer:

When I bike the equivalent areas in Minneapolis that's the only time I carry openly and I've added the despised CCW Badge.
The pistol is in an external holster and the little CCW Badge is clipped into the webbing of the nylon holster.

Most of my bike rides include a uniquely dangerous pathway that goes through the second most dangerous neighborhood (Phillips) in Minneapolis...the Midtown Greenway..a below grade train bed paved for peds and bikes...there have been equally horrific crimes there such as swarming / stomping attacks of 8-10 juvenile males resulting in permanent brain damage. Typical attack are done in goups of 3 or more and the perps are typically juveniles.

And I believe there are 3 benefits to (Open Carry w/ CCW Badge while biking) in this specific behavior namely, Biking / Jogging in high crime areas.

It seems the three benefits are:

1) A courtesy to a nervous parent w/ kids...they (wrongly) percieve a firearm as a ticking time bomb about to explode...at a close range they can see the seal of the state of Minnesota and read "Concealed Weapon Permit" HOPEFULLY they can exhale and relax assuming "background check" and "Training"

2) Communicating at a distance to someone who would "murder you for sport" The displayed pistol should read "not an easy victim" I'm going to get as good as I give if I attack this MOFO...I'll wait for a skinny girl to come by" The dreaded CCW Badge also helps identify the black thing on my hip as a loaded firearm and NOT a cell phone...before the addition of the CCW badge I think most bad guys thought it was just a cell phone. These thugs are loitering waiting to pounce..the visual of the displayed pistol could be enough to scramble thier plans while you safely pass through their zone of influence.

3) CCW Badge specific...POSSIBLY prevent "person w/ a gun call" and it's inconvenience.

We all have anger and sorrow about these crime victims but I need a plan going forward...I'm not giving up the amenities of my beautiful city to the Thugs.
So I think that despite being percieved by both the Law Enforcement and Civilian Firearms community as a Wannbe Cop Jerk Internet Commando Mall Ninja, there is some tactical benefit.

Below: Brain injury inflicted by 16 & 17 yr old "children"

Last edited by 12smile on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Devil's Advocate: "There's a man impersonating an officer on the greenway"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:14 pm 

I've just added the Brain Injury photo...I weigh any static against having my melon smashed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

The carry badge is still a bad idea, and does nothing to address the three issues you raise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:59 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
The carry badge is still a bad idea, and does nothing to address the three issues you raise.

It is so universally derided but I DO think there is an ounce of value in it...I'm listening....to smarter and more experienced observers.

One argument I'd make is: ask any of the Phalen / Midtown greenway victims what they'd do if they could have prevented the damage to their bodies...Would they wear polka dot clown suits with orange hair if that would have prevented their life-changing injuries?

I would.

It's too easy to ridicule the use of the CCW medalion as a tactic...but look at that guys head...I'll wear a Clown Suit while biking if I can avoid that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

The CCW badge is just fluff though. IT's the OC firearm that's going to deter the criminals. You're hoping that the CCW tin will deter Man with Gun calls and We're asserting that ANY interaction with LEOS or public has a huge chance to spin very bad ...

These people are wanna be cops. They even have badges and are trying to fool people into thinking they're police.

The whole idea behind OC activism is to make the public comfortable with OC by law abiding citizens, NOT cops.

I see no up side, and a big downside, both individually and for the larger Carry Community.

again, OC alone would accomplish your goals.

Last edited by plblark on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:14 pm 

12smile wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

It is so universally derided but I DO think there is an ounce of value in it...I'm listening....to smarter and more experienced observers.

12Smile, you bring up an interesting question about bike riding - I usually get 1000 miles a year in on mine - still have not settled on a best-way to carry - last year I ended going with a black 5.11 t-shirt with the carry pockets under the pit - worked pretty will with my XD-SC and was the only way I could feel confident that I would still have a chance if I got knocked off the bike by someone - actually practiced falling and drawing an empty gun...worked pretty well actually!

On a side note...Unless they are cops telling you what a great idea it is to wear a carry badge I would be curious as to who the "smarter and more experienced observers" are that you are referring to. Likely you did not mean it this way but it reads to me as a knock against the very knowledgeable folks on this board. Forgive me if that was not your intent, it is just my perception....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

It's hard to hear if I leave both out :wink:

I know, I know, safety is more important than hearing the Jayhawks, but I can be careful and enjoy tunes, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:15 pm 

plblark wrote:
I see no up side, and a big downside, both individually and for the larger Carry Community.

+1 - Well said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:20 pm 

plblark wrote:

That's kind of what I'm trying to discover here...I've read CCW Badge threads in other forums and they become boring flame fests...

I think one way to explore it is to juxtapose the badge to that guy's skull...I'd wear six badges and one on my forehead if I could avoid that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069 wrote:
On a side note...Unless they are cops telling you what a great idea it is to wear a carry badge I would be curious as to who the "smarter and more experienced observers" are that you are referring to. Likely you did not mean it this way but it reads to me as a knock against the very knowledgeable folks on this board. Forgive me if that was not your intent, it is just my perception....

The way I read it, he WAS asking this board for their opinions and explanations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm 

Quote:
"smarter and more experienced observers" are that you are referring to. Likely you did not mean it this way but it reads to me as a knock against the very knowledgeable folks on this board. Forgive me if that was not your intent, it is just my perception....

smarter and more experienced than myself :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm 

Let's be clear that the only purpose of the badge is to impersonate an officer or give the impression as such. Not only is that against the law, but as plblark said, when confronting a LEO, you are already on their bad side before they approach to check your PTC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:31 pm 

tman065 wrote:
Ronin069 wrote:

The way I read it, he WAS asking this board for their opinions and explanations.

See...that's the trouble with e-mail and texting. Sometimes the meaning of the words can be up to the present mood of the reader. Argh! As I said 12smile, forgive me for over analyzing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't wear the badge.

How about a t-shirt that says "Carry Permit Holder" on both sides... :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.