Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Your "Go to" books for tactical pistol...? 
 Post subject: Your "Go to" books for tactical pistol...?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:23 am 

I'm curious which books on tactical pistol technique others consider indispensable. Note... not necessarily concerned with the "Concealed Carry" angle as much as sound pistol defense technique.

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mas Ayoob's "In the gravest extreme"

Just about anything by Jeff Cooper

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:07 am 

Hmmm ... Expected more response. Hope people are keeping up on their reading skills as well as the Law :wink: I have John Farnam's book (The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning) and and have read some Jeff Cooper as well. I'm thinking about picking up "In the Gravest Extreme" as I've heard good things about it.

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:00 am 

I have been looking around for some as well. Mind you, I haven't read these yet but these are the ones I have on my amazon "to buy" list after reading through bunches of descriptions of books there and trying to select the ones that sounded the best fit for what I was looking for:

Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight - Andy Stanford; Paperback

Tactical Pistol Marksmanship: How to Improve Your Combat Shooting Skills - Gabriel Suarez; Paperback

Handgun Combatives - Dave Spaulding; Paperback

If anyone has read any of these, we'd love a quick review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:49 pm 

cmj685 wrote:
I have been looking around for some as well. Mind you, I haven't read these yet but these are the ones I have on my amazon "to buy" list after reading through bunches of descriptions of books there and trying to select the ones that sounded the best fit for what I was looking for:

Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight - Andy Stanford; Paperback

Tactical Pistol Marksmanship: How to Improve Your Combat Shooting Skills - Gabriel Suarez; Paperback

I've read all three, plus the Suarez + Cooper book. They were all read over five years ago, so I'm going by dim memory here. They were all worth reading, I'm a big fan of the idea that you can never get too much info on a subject. I'd rank them Spaulding, Stafford, Suarez.

Handgun Combatives did a good job of going over the technique aspects of shooting, but it really excelled covering the mental aspects.

Surgical Speed Shooting really focused on technique, mostly to do with the Isosceles stance and trigger control. I felt it was more geared to competitive shooting rather than combat shooting.

I'm not that big of a fan of the Suarez books, or should I say I'm not that big of a fan of Gabe Suarez. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Another book I found useful was a book by Jeff Gonzales called Combative Fundamentals, an Unconventional Approach.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097544350X

The book is half handgun and half carbine, but the information is well presented and well thought out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:04 pm 

cryptical wrote:
Another book I found useful was a book by Jeff Gonzales called Combative Fundamentals, an Unconventional Approach.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097544350X

The book is half handgun and half carbine, but the information is well presented and well thought out.

This one looks quite interesting and reviews are favorable- might just have to check it out.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm pretty sure that while there's something to be learned from such books, you won't learn to be a highly tactical operator from a book. I suspect the main benefit of such books is to the wallets of the authors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:54 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I'm pretty sure that while there's something to be learned from such books, you won't learn to be a highly tactical operator from a book. I suspect the main benefit of such books is to the wallets of the authors.

But how many of the 60,000 permit holders in Minnesota are going to get to Gunsite, DTI or Front sight? So what is the answer? Going to the Indoor Pistol Range and firing 200 rounds a month is surely not a "holistic" approach.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Harland wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

But how many of the 60,000 permit holders in Minnesota are going to get to Gunsite, DTI or Front sight? So what is the answer? Going to the Indoor Pistol Range and firing 200 rounds a month is surely not a "holistic" approach.

There are classes offered here. I'm taking one from Don L. in June. I might take all three if there's room (and I get signed up in time). I would also think that competitive shooting has something to offer. I've only done one IDPA match and a handful of steel shoots, but I gotta believe that shooting with an RO watching, an audience watching, a clock running, possible DQ for violations, scoring, etc. provides a chance for most people to shoot while under the influence of adrenaline. I know a real DGU situation would be on a level of its own, but practice under stressful circumstances might be as close as we can get without return of live fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm 

Harland wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

I don't believe anyone is going to go to Front Sight anytime soon...

http://www.pahrumpvalleytimes.com/2009/May-15-Fri-2009/news/28773367.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

gman1868 wrote:
Harland wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

I don't believe anyone is going to go to Front Sight anytime soon...

http://www.pahrumpvalleytimes.com/2009/May-15-Fri-2009/news/28773367.html

Yipes!!! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 am 

Funny, that Piazza guy always made me a bit leary ...

-Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by Harland on Thu May 28, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Harland wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

A good start is to go to one of the local tactics instructors (Don Larson comes to mind) and then practice what he teaches you.

LAst I checked it was about $150 (plus ammo) to take his level I class, that is within the reach of most folks.

Books are great but you cannot beat in-person instruction on the range.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:26 pm 
The Man

jac714 wrote:
Harland wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

A good start is to go to one of the local tactics instructors (Don Larson comes to mind) and then practice what he teaches you.

LAst I checked it was about $150 (plus ammo) to take his level I class, that is within the reach of most folks.

Books are great but you cannot beat in-person instruction on the range.
Yup. There's another discussion about the value of training, but I can't see anything wrong with improving any skill, and having fun while doing it, and Donnie is a lot of fun, and good at the skills he's also good at teaching.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 pm 

cmj685 wrote:

I've read both of them and thought they were worth the money.

My recommendations:

In the Gravest Extreme - Massad Ayoob

The Ayoob Files - Massad Ayoob

The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning - John S. Farnam

The Farnam Method of Rifle and Shotgun Shooting - John S. Farnam

The Art of the Rifle - Jeff Cooper

Principles of Personal Defense
- Jeff Cooper

Shooting to Live - W.E. Fairbairn & E.A. Sykes

Teaching Women to Shoot - Vicky Farnam and Diane Nicholl

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.