Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 IDPA SSP Question 
 Post subject: IDPA SSP Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 am 

Admittedly, I made a stupid purchasing error. For some reason, I ordered a Glock 19C. Why C? I have no idea, other than it probably had a cool factor to it. Since then, I discovered that it is not considered "stock" in most shooting sports....duh on me.

Some time down the road(once kids a little older), I would like to do the occassional IDPA match, and the Glock 19C was supposed to fill that role. Being an amature, starting out in the SSP division sounds ideal.

On to the question(s)....

1) If I were to purchase a non-compensated barrel for the Glock 19C, could I use it in the SSP division?
2) Or, would the ESP division be ok for a beginner to start in??

Just curious.... sorry for the long post.

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

1) Looks like kind of a gray area, but this might help: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulle ... 405&page=2

2) There's nothing at all wrong with starting in ESP. For example, stock Springfield XDs, despite their nearly identical operation to Glocks, cannot be shot in SSP due to internal differences that technically make them single-action pistols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, ESP is no harder than any other division if you know how to work the thumb safety on your 1911. :) Actually it sorta seems to me the toughest competition is in SSP. I shot ESP for the first five years or so (but I admit I found that darn safety lever thingy too complicated, and switched to revolvers.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat, don't you mean CDP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
Pat, don't you mean CDP?
Oops, yeah... I think I was looking at aypstony's avatar that got me thinking he was asking about shooting 1911s.

In any case, if you know how to work whatever decockers and valves and vernier dials and buttons are on your whatever-type gun well enough to not be a hazard to yourself or others, a beginner can start in any division and do fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:53 pm 
1911 tainted

Compensated barrel is not legal for IDPA at all, no matter what division. You could replace the barrel with a non-comped and then you can compete SSP.

Just to note, a 1911 can shoot in CDP or ESP. In CDP it has to be a 45 acp and in ESP, the rule is it has to be 9mm or larger. You can even shoot a SSP class gun in CDP or ESP.

Classification is caliber and configuration dependent.

Last edited by cobb on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
Compensated barrel is not legal for IDPA at all, no matter what division. You could replace the barrel with a non-comped and then you can compete SSP.
Just butter some JB Weld in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:01 pm 

Barrels are around $120.00, cheaper than a new gun. :wink:

rtk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:06 pm 
1911 tainted

Here is some reading for you.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm 

cobb wrote:

Dang...I was afraid of that. I guess I will have to get a non-compensated barrel.

Thanks for all the feedback!

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

In the meanwhile your ported gun is perfectly OK at Benny & China's Hutchinson steel shoots!

I remember China had one, and Benny was pointing out how it looked like little steam locomotive when she shot.

Post subject: Consider a Lone Wolf or other rifled barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:33 pm 

That way you can shoot lead bullets as much as you like!

aypstony wrote:
cobb wrote:

Dang...I was afraid of that. I guess I will have to get a non-compensated barrel.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Consider a Lone Wolf or other rifled barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 pm 
1911 tainted

IDPA Shooter wrote:
That way you can shoot lead bullets as much as you like!

aypstony wrote:
cobb wrote:

I think Bob is referring to a rifled barrel vs a polygon.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.