Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Plaxico Burress 2 YEARS IN JAIL FOR NYC FIREARM POSSESION. 
 Post subject: Plaxico Burress 2 YEARS IN JAIL FOR NYC FIREARM POSSESION.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:26 am 

His attorney questioned the recommended prison sentence.
"This was not an intentional criminal act," Brafman said the day of the plea. "In my judgment, a two-year prison sentence is a very severe punishment."

Just a little reality check here, I daily enjoy the protection of my concealed firearm and this poor slob gets to spend 2 years in prison for POSSESION of a firearm.

His possesion was revealed in a negligent discharge in a nightclub where he was wounded in the thigh. He could have faced 3 1/2 years if convicted on all possible charges.

So ....this could be Minnesota if not for [ ...you fill in the blank...] Billionaire Michael Bloomberg mayor of NYC was elected democratically in a free election by the citizens of NYC.

2 years in prison vs. the freedom we enjoy in Mn....Thanks Gun Rights Activists for the previous 2 decades of uphill struggle. :)

Post subject: Re: Plaxico Burress 2 YEARS IN JAIL FOR NYC FIREARM POSSESION.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 am 
Longtime Regular

12smile wrote:
So ....this could be Minnesota if not for [ ...you fill in the blank...]

Here you go:

__Alfred Fingulin; David Gross, Esq.; Professor Joseph Olson; and many, many others__

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:23 pm 

As much as we can all probably agree ole Plax is a dumbass for not using a holster, this really pisses me off. You mean to tell me that if I even possess a handgun in these places I'm looking at years of imprisonment? Is the constitution not applicable to NYC, Chicago, etc? Not to mention that the handgun ban has obviously made huge strides in reducing crime in these cities.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:48 am 

rusty shackleford wrote:
As much as we can all probably agree ole Plax is a dumbass for not using a holster, this really pisses me off. You mean to tell me that if I even possess a handgun in these places I'm looking at years of imprisonment? Is the constitution not applicable to NYC, Chicago, etc? Not to mention that the handgun ban has obviously made huge strides in reducing crime in these cities.

Well, my general rule is that unless I *HAVE* to, I won't go anywhere my XD's can't. So, by being so bass-ackwards, I'm refusing to *EVER* step foot in their territory, and by extension, EVER give them my money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:29 am 
The Man

rusty shackleford wrote:
As much as we can all probably agree ole Plax is a dumbass for not using a holster, this really pisses me off. You mean to tell me that if I even possess a handgun in these places I'm looking at years of imprisonment?

Yes. Quick check: if a multimillionaire sports star with millions of adoring fans and no criminal record does, you would, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:01 am 

joelr wrote:
rusty shackleford wrote:
As much as we can all probably agree ole Plax is a dumbass for not using a holster, this really pisses me off. You mean to tell me that if I even possess a handgun in these places I'm looking at years of imprisonment?

Yes. Quick check: if a multimillionaire sports star with millions of adoring fans and no criminal record does, you would, too.

I've got the millions of adoring fans and no record, but sadly, still working on the multimillionaire part of the equation. If only Mom didn't throw away all my baseball cards....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 am 

I thought his sentance was to send a message to all the other football/basketball stars that they are not invincible from the law? In other words had this happened to a normal person, the sentance would have been much less.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:01 am 
Wise Elder

peter94 wrote:
I thought his sentance was to send a message to all the other football/basketball stars that they are not invincible from the law? In other words had this happened to a normal person, the sentence would have been much less.

Absolutely correct.

The IRS does this too. If they want the publicity, no decent bargain is possible. Same for Martha Stewart.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:58 pm 
The Man

kimberman wrote:
peter94 wrote:
I thought his sentance was to send a message to all the other football/basketball stars that they are not invincible from the law? In other words had this happened to a normal person, the sentence would have been much less.

Absolutely correct.

The IRS does this too. If they want the publicity, no decent bargain is possible. Same for Martha Stewart.
That's true for the IRS, but I've read from folks who practice there that this isn't an unusual sentence, at all. I think, though, a celebrity might have gotten a sweeter deal there if there hadn't been publicity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's not right, but a gun possession charge is really easy to prosecute. So if you're a cop, and run into a sh*tbag that's obviously getting ready to rob or shoot somebody, and you find the gun it' gotcha. Proving the sh*tbag is planning a caper, or waiting until he commitss the crime and proving he did it is harder of course.

When these laws are passed, that's the picture presented, I think. Putting this guy in prison is kind of ridiculous. But that's what happens with mandatory sentencing. If judges had discrection, they'd send the crooks to prison, and put this guy on probation.

We could solve this by not making sentences mandatory.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.