Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Hennepin County Library 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

bab wrote:
What is "Durbins template" ?

This letter: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... t=258#2406

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:05 pm 

OK, I finally got a chance to check out the Southdale Library situation. The library and the court building next door do have different addresses. And though they share a wall, as far as I know there is no internal connection between the buildings, you have to leave the library, cross traffic, and go into the court building. To me this makes them two different buildings. After all, if sharing a wall made them the same building, then what would happen if there were two neighboring businesses in a strip mall (that shared a common wall), and one was posted while the other was not? Since they are different buildings I think it improper that they post the library.

The wording of the Southdale signs is different than what I've seen on other libraries, e.g. Edina's. I should have written it down, but to the best of my recollection it went something like "By order of Hennepin county courts, dangerous weapons are banned on these premises". The non-Southdale signs don't mention the court order part of it.

My take on it... the posting on the court building is legit. Someone thought they'd try to stretch the truth and post the adjoining library building with the same sign, then other libraries decided to join in the deception, but had the smarts not to lie about the court order part applying to them.

This is bugging me more and more. I'm going to make some calls to get to the bottom of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

bab wrote:
OK, I finally got a chance to check out the Southdale Library situation. The library and the court building next door do have different addresses. And though they share a wall, as far as I know there is no internal connection between the buildings, you have to leave the library, cross traffic, and go into the court building. To me this makes them two different buildings. After all, if sharing a wall made them the same building, then what would happen if there were two neighboring businesses in a strip mall (that shared a common wall), and one was posted while the other was not? Since they are different buildings I think it improper that they post the library.

The wording of the Southdale signs is different than what I've seen on other libraries, e.g. Edina's. I should have written it down, but to the best of my recollection it went something like "By order of Hennepin county courts, dangerous weapons are banned on these premises". The non-Southdale signs don't mention the court order part of it.

My take on it... the posting on the court building is legit. Someone thought they'd try to stretch the truth and post the adjoining library building with the same sign, then other libraries decided to join in the deception, but had the smarts not to lie about the court order part applying to them.

This is bugging me more and more. I'm going to make some calls to get to the bottom of this.

You go, bab!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:54 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

please keep us updated!!

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:22 pm 

I've still been working on this. I've spoken to some library employees, who didn't know what the signs meant. :roll:

They referred me to the county attorney, who I called today. I hope to have a message from him waiting for me when I get home today.

Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:28 pm 

Turns out I had some extra time so here is what I've found out so far...

I went to Penn Lake, Hopkins, Edina, Eden Prairie, and Southdale libraries. All are Hennepin County Libraries. And all are now posted. Eden Prairie had been unposted for months, even after I first saw postings at Edina. It seems the county has been busy.

Southdale is the only one that is next to a court building. It was also the only one that had the "Hennepin County Courts ban dangerous weapons..." wording. The others didn't mention the courts being involved, though they all started the sign with the Hennepin County logo. The signs were identical except for this mention of the courts.

I went into the Southdale library and asked if I could get into the neighboring court building from the library, without having to go outside. I was told "no, you have to go outside".

I also spoke with a former long time employee of that library who said to the best of their recolection there was no connecting passage between the two buildings.

I went into the Edina Library and had the following conversations.

BAB: Hi, I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while… I keep coming in and noticing the sign out front, about ‘dangerous weapons”, I’m just wondering what that means?

Clerk: Well it was something that the state of Minnesota passed. You’ll see it on other places, like Banana Republic has one, on 50th and France (note: they are a private business, their posting is compliant and addresses guns, not "dangerous weapons"). I don’t know that I can fully explain it. The librarians might be able to explain it better. If you walk into Mall of America they have a sign like that too. Once you start noticing one you’ll start noticing a lot. But the librarians might actually have a better explanation for that, they might actually have the ordinance or whatever.

BAB: OK, thanks.

(BAB walks over to the Librarians desk)

BAB: Hi, I’m just curious, I’ve been meaning to ask for a while.. the sign by the door about dangerous weapons, I’m just wondering what the meaning of that is, or what the definition ….

Librarian: The county has done that for all public buildings in the county, it’s just a standard sign.

BAB: So what constitutes a dangerous weapon.

Librarian: Guns, knives.

BAB: OK, so… don’t arrest me but… I’m curious, I mean (pulls out keychain, opens its 1.8” knife blade), that’s a knife right?

Librarian: No, nothing like that. Switchblades and big knives that you could walk in with.

BAB: So how big does the knife have to be?

Librarian: Well, I’m not sure. Probably 6 inches, you know…

BAB: Is there a written policy somewhere, that I could find out?

Librarian: (asking Librarian2 ) Is there a written policy on the banning of dangerous weapons? He wants to know how long a knife would have to be..

BAB: I’m just curious in general about the definition of it. I mean If I were in here working with scissors or something on a project…

Librarian: No, scissors are fine, we’ve got scissors all over the building.

Librarian2: Someone has brought this up before, they thought it was pretty funny, I mean… name a weapon that isn’t dangerous (laughs).

BAB: It does seem a little redundant.

Librarian2: The county attorneys office is the one that came up with that. So maybe they’re the people you should talk to.

Librarian: Ya, I’d give them a call.

BAB: So there is no one in the library administration to talk to, that would know…?

Librarian: They’d refer you to the county.

BAB: OK, so County Attorney’s office…?

Librarian: Yup, cuz it’s a county policy.

BAB: OK. Thank you.

The above conversation illustrates some of the reasons these signs bother me. People think they are a state law :roll: that ban guns :roll: making it that much more likely for someone to panic in some way if they should notice a legal permit holder carrying :x

Lets see what the County Attorney has to say. Stay tuned.

Last edited by bab on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

While I normally caution against open carry, I may have to make an exception at a Hennepin County library soon.

(...and bring my lawyer!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew, let me know and I will join you! :D

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:40 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

I've got some time tomorrow morning. I think I'll go do some research at the Edina branch. My Dakota County card is good there, right?

I'll post what happened.

Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I'd be interested to know too... I am regularly returning (late by the way) my wife and kids books and videos to the Eden Prairie Library...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: at library right now...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

I just arrived at the Edina branch at the stroke of ten. Came in (open carry in a retention holster) and sat down to boot up my laptop. 2 minutes go by, and a lady approached me and said "is that a weapon?" I replied yes, and she said "I'm sorry, you'll have to leave it in the car, we have a sign posted out front". I replied, "I'm very sorry but the sign means nothing legally, local government bodies cannot post". She then asked me "Are you trying to challenge the law?". I replied "No ma'am, there's nothing to challenge, the law is crystal clear on this point. Is there a school or courthouse attached to this library?" She replied no, so I said that I'm totally within my rights to be here. I apologized and said that I'm sorry that she has to be in the middle of this, but the administrators are wrong. She then kind of huffed off, and now I am sitting here enjoying this fine library. More to follow if anything happens

Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am 
Longtime Regular

reaver3... You have me on the edge of my seat... I fear you might cause me to wear out my refresh button...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:26 am 
Longtime Regular

I hope you brought a copy of the law! How long are you staying there? I might drop in on my way to work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 am 
Journeyman Member

Good Luck...

Is there anyone with a scanner that can hear the Edina PD's call for a "man with a gun threatening the nice ladies at the library" call???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:29 am 
Journeyman Member

Andrew,

You may want to post David Gross' phone number (I've only got his old one)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.