Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 San Diego settles on a shooting 
 Post subject: San Diego settles on a shooting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is a horrible president to set. Not good.

Quote:
SD settles with family of man shot by police
The Associated Press
Posted: 03/26/2009 01:57:06 AM PDT
story link

SAN DIEGO—The city of San Diego has agreed to pay $325,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by the family of a 25-year-old man police shot and killed when he reached for a toy gun during a traffic stop.
The City Council unanimously approved the settlement in the wrongful death lawsuit Wednesday.

Jacob Richard Faust was pulled over for making an illegal left turn on April 4, 2005. Police say he scuffled with two officers before reaching behind his van's front passenger seat and pulling out the toy gun. One of the officers fired three times and killed him.

Faust's family has disputed the officers' account.

They say Faust used the toy gun as a prop in a puppet show.

The district attorney concluded that the shooting was legally justified.

He was obviously trying to create a threat to the officers lives. I dont blame them for shooting. They have to protect themselves.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's California, Of course it makes no sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:03 pm 
On time out

I am sorry, what makes no sense, that the family got paid for a guy trying to get shot?

News flash, Cops don't carry toy guns, you pull a toy, they pull a real one, large disparity in results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
I am sorry, what makes no sense, that the family got paid for a guy trying to get shot?

News flash, Cops don't carry toy guns, you pull a toy, they pull a real one, large disparity in results.

Disparity in results, Darwin Award, same thing. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:03 pm 

Sounds like "Suicide by cop", and his family still got the pay out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:

This is 12 steps towards the cliff of insanity beyond "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight"

Post subject: Re: San Diego settles on a shooting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 am 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
SD settles with family of man shot by police
The Associated Press
Posted: 03/26/2009 01:57:06 AM PDT
story link

Police say he scuffled with two officers before reaching behind his van's front passenger seat and pulling out the toy gun.

Faust's family has disputed the officers' account.

I can't believe you are all hanging him out to dry. Read the red above. The only reason Landon Beard is having the trouble he is now, is because Treptow got the first shot off! The only reason the BART cops are in trouble for killing their "unruly, resisting, detainee" :roll: is because IT WAS ON FILM.
Suicide by cop was mentioned here a couple of posts from the original poster. I happen to believe there are more effective ways to end one's life (even if you choose suicide by cop) than driving around aimlessly, looking for a cruiser in front of which to make minor traffic violations, in hopes that you will be stopped, whereupon you can ensue a struggle, and reach for a gun which you obviously know to be fake. A real one, after all, might make it less believable, and cause the officers not shoot you. :roll:

PocketProtector642 wrote:
He was obviously trying to create a threat to the officers lives. I dont blame them for shooting. They have to protect themselves.

Was he obviously? Really?
Do cities and attorneys settle cases for $350,000 they can obviously win? This did not go to trial! I certainly do not know what happened, but unlike many judges, and the court of public opinion, I don't take for gospel every word and testimony that falls from an officer's lips. I know most people believe that if you've got a badge, you must be a saint and a crackshot, but I just don't buy that BS.

Something about this (maybe it's just the reporting) doesn't feel right. Maybe he was a villain for making an illegal left turn, and the officers were lucky to catch a drug using, officer beating, suicide-by-cop planning dredge of society. If so, then great.

But maybe not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:30 pm 

I agree. This has the smell of old fish or HammAR's skivvies after a hard hump through the jungle. (:{)

$350,000 sounds about right for the case where the cops cannot substantiate by any means (meaning police transmissons) that the airsoft gun was STILL in the back seat, and they blew the guy away just because they saw it IN THE BACK SEAT.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.