Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Man has no regrets defending Oklahoma City pharmacy 
 Post subject: Man has no regrets defending Oklahoma City pharmacy
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Man has no regrets defending Oklahoma City pharmacy
Buzz up!
BY JOHNNY JOHNSON
Published: May 22, 2009

Jerome Ersland was back at work Thursday filling prescriptions and hoping that by taking the life of a 16-year-old boy two days earlier, he had saved others.

Rubbing an oversized bandage on his left forearm, where he said he was grazed by a robber’s bullet, Ersland related details of what he said was a highly organized hit on the Reliable Discount Pharmacy.

"I just regret anybody would get killed,” Ersland said. "But if I wouldn’t have been here, there would have been three people killed — the other pharmacist and the two techs.”

He also recalls the angry voices of people who gathered outside the pharmacy Tuesday night, shouting that he was a racist who unnecessarily took a life of the Seeworth Academy charter school student, Antwun Parker.

"There were a lot of black people gathered out there yelling and everything at my boss,” Ersland said.

An organized hit
After the pharmacy near SW 59 and Pennsylvania was robbed two years ago, the owner installed new security measures to try to make sure his employees would never again be forced to a back room and pistol-whipped.

"We have a very good security system,” Ersland said, motioning to the magnetic door locks that won’t let anyone in or out of the store without permission. "The door locks, and they (robbers) knew that. They had cased it because they knew exactly what time to hit us when we’d have all of our narcotics out and our money out.”

About 10 minutes before 6 p.m., Ersland said, two robbers wearing ski masks waited for someone to leave the pharmacy and then grabbed the open door and threw down a board to stop the door from closing.

The robbers went in cursing and yelling, ordering employees to give them money and drugs, Ersland said.

Two women who were working behind the counter ran for a back room where they would be safe, but Ersland said he couldn’t run. Ersland said he’s a veteran with disabilities from wounds he received in Operation Desert Storm, wears a cumbersome back brace and just had his latest back surgery six weeks ago.

"All of a sudden, they started shooting,” he said. "They were attempting to kill me, but they didn’t know I had a gun. They said, ‘You’re gonna die.’ That’s when one of them shot at me, and that’s when he got my hand.”

Ersland said he was thrown against a wall, but managed to go for the semiautomatic in his pocket.

"And that’s when I started defending myself,” he said. "The first shot got him in the head, and that slowed him down so I could get my other gun.”

But as one robber hit the floor, Ersland said, a bullet from the other robber whizzed past his ear.

The pharmacist said he then got his second gun from a nearby drawer, a Taurus "Judge.”

After he had the big gun, Ersland said, the second robber ran.

But as he started to chase after the second robber, Ersland said, he looked back to see the 16-year-old he had shot in the head getting up again. Ersland said he then emptied the Kel-Tec .380 into the boy’s chest as he kept going after the second robber.

"I went after the other guy, but he was real fast and I’m crippled,” Ersland said.

Outside the pharmacy, he said he saw what he thought was a third black male in a car with the engine running and reaching for what appeared to be a shotgun.

"I pulled out my ‘Judge’ and pointed it right between his eyes and he floored it,” Ersland said.

The investigation
Because of the sensitive nature of the investigation, police said they could not confirm any of Ersland’s story, including whether Ersland was shot, whether the robbers ever fired on him or even if Parker was armed.

On Thursday, police were still looking for the second robber, described as a black man in his 20s, about 5 feet, 7 inches tall, and weighing about 175 pounds. The man was last seen wearing a red shirt and dark pants.

A man was arrested about a block away after crashing a stolen car that fit the description Ersland gave, but police said the man has not been linked to the robbery.

After the gunfire
When he went back in the pharmacy, Ersland said, he called police.

"I asked if the girls were all right, and they were in the back crying,” he said. "I was glad to know they were alive. We were lucky and I’m glad I defended us, because I feel that a person has a right to defend themselves at their home or at their work. People deserve to be safe and not be afraid of people that want to take money when they don’t work for it.”

That’s what the Second Amendment and the state’s "concealed carry” license are for, he said.

"Fortunately, God made them miss me, except for this minor scratch,” Ersland said.

"I was able to return fire and protect the girls’ lives. God was helping me.”

http://newsok.com/man-has-no-regrets-de ... le/3371710

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's the way it's supposed to happen. Oklahoma has a lot of screwy things, but they do guns right.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
But as he started to chase after the second robber, Ersland said, he looked back to see the 16-year-old he had shot in the head getting up again. Ersland said he then emptied the Kel-Tec .380 into the boy’s chest as he kept going after the second robber.

Uh-oh. Don't talk to cops, don't talk to the press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:29 pm 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
"The first shot got him in the head, and that slowed him down so I could get my other gun.”

That's golden, right there. :D
This guy is Lance Thomas material!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

“A person has a right to defend themselves at their home or at their work”…… Or anywhere they happen to be.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

As far as the one that got away, they should be looking for someone with brown stained pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

Update: Pharmacist now charged with first-degree murder.

Link

"Don't give interviews after a DGU to anyone" is the lesson I'm taking away from this.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:49 am 

Story at KOCO

reaver3 wrote:
"Don't give interviews after a DGU to anyone" is the lesson I'm taking away from this.

I get, "Don't shoot unarmed people unless they pose a threat." The charges had nothing to do with the media statements and everything to do with the fact that surveillance video footage showed that the person he shot was unarmed. I doubt if they'll find a jury that will convict him though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:23 am 
Longtime Regular

My take: "Don't do illegal/immoral stuff. If you do, don't talk about it (unless you want to go to jail.)"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Such a promising start...until he got caught on camera being an asshole.

Quote:
"If that first shot had been fatal, we wouldn't be here," Prater said. "That was a legitimate shot taken by Mr. Ersland when he was in imminent threat of death or bodily injury. He's defending himself."

Prosecutors said Ersland returned to the store after the chase and fired five more shots into Parker's abdomen. Parker was unconscious with gunshot wounds to his head, prosecutors said.

A medical examiner said Parker would have survived the head injury, but died from the shooting to his abdomen.

Don't do naughty stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 am 
Forum Moderator

No big surprise...

Pharmacist Who Shot Man Robbing Store Charged With Murder

Thursday , May 28, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY —
An Oklahoma City pharmacist who shot and killed a 16-year-old would-be robber was charged Wednesday with first-degree murder.

Jerome Ersland, 57, was being held without bail in the Oklahoma County Jail.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said in an afternoon news conference that Ersland was justified in shooting Antwun Parker once in the head on May 19. But Prater said Ersland went too far when he shot Parker five more times in the abdomen while Parker lay unconscious on the floor.

Ersland's attorney, Irven Box, said Ersland was protecting himself and two women inside the pharmacy.

"I think he did something in his eyes that protected both himself and two ladies in there," Box said. "He put an end to the threat."

Box said he thinks a jury will exonerate Ersland.

At an afternoon news conference, Prater showed a security video in which two men burst into the pharmacy and one is shot.

Ersland is seen chasing the second man outside before returning, walking past Parker to get a second gun then going back to Parker and opening fire.

The charge alleges Ersland shot Parker while he was incapacitated and lying on his back. Ersland's account of the incident doesn't match the video or the evidence collected at the scene, according to an affidavit written by Oklahoma City Police Detective David Jacobson.

Jacobson said the suspect who ran away from the pharmacy was armed, but no gun was found near Parker.

"Ersland shows no concern for his safety as he walks by Parker, and turns his back to Parker as he walks behind the pharmacy counter," Jacobson said. "Ersland is then seen to put the pistol he is carrying on the counter, and retrieve a second pistol from a drawer."

Ersland used this pistol to shoot Parker on the ground, the detective said.

He said an autopsy determined that Parker had been shot in the head, but was still alive when he was shot in the stomach area and died from those injuries.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,522 ... latestnews

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:41 pm 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
He said an autopsy determined that Parker had been shot in the head, but was still alive when he was shot in the stomach area and died from those injuries.

Yikes. That little detail is way un-good for the pharmacist.
No charge of murder for the accomplice who robbed the store? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
Quote:

Yikes. That little detail is way un-good for the pharmacist.
No charge of murder for the accomplice who robbed the store? :?

The accomplice? Of course not. the robbers were both good kids, getting their lives in order. They helped their elderly neighbors haul their trash to the curb. They were star athletes. They were in the church choir and they were straight A students.

Never mind the fact that they were running around like a pack of mad dogs, robbing drug-stores in their down time. This is America, where the victim gets charged.

[Edit to add:] Granted, the finishing shots might have been a tad excessive, but I would be at least one sympathetic juror if the victim who did the shooting here "forgot" the number for 911 for a half hour or so...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh man, I just watched the security video unedited (time stamp shows no jumps).

He's toast. It was a calm execution.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 pm 

Yeah, I'm afraid that Pharmacist's going by-bye for quite a while.

http://krmg.com/blogs/the_krmg_morning_ ... ts-ki.html

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.