Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Favorite beer 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

There is no bad beer, there is just beer.

Personally I prefer some styles over others, but take away the marketing BS and they're all just (or should be) water, hops, malt, and yeast.

For Mexican beer, I'd prefer Negro Modelo.
Dox equis is fine to me as well.

The one that gets me going is Corona- it's ok, but doesn't offer anything you can't find in the less expensive budmillercoorslite line. And the fact that they put the stuff in clear bottles practically begs skunkiness, which is a defect, but many people think it's the sign of a good beer- "Imported, you know". Fortunately there are some really good domestic brewers.
Beer seems best when consumed in it's native area- less chance for defects (like skunkiness) being introduced from not handling properly.
Heineken is a prime example. I've never tried one here that isn't skunked to one degree or another. But I've been told by those who've been to Europe that Heineken is actually good over there- no skunkyness at all. I just hope Heiniken isn't purposely skunking their USA beer to appease the market.

Sorry for rant, but I am the Brewman, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Blue Max has a really great beer selection. Saison and Chimay? I bow down to you sir. You obviously have excellent taste in beers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Brewman wrote:
Blue Max has a really great beer selection. Saison and Chimay? I bow down to you sir. You obviously have excellent taste in beers.

Thanks. I buy Fantome Saison by the case when I can find cases of it. Thankfully Chimay is easier to come by.

But I will admit to a guilty pleasure -- I like the occasional ice-cold Budweiser, but only in a can. There's something watery and refreshing about it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Like I said earlier, there is no bad beer, there is just beer. I'll toss down a Budmillercoors occasionally as well. It's just one style of beer, but there are many others to enjoy as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:46 am 

Guiness is not beer, it's health food. One should drink two pints a day for one's health regardless of what else you drink! 8) Negra Modelo is great Mexican beer, but for something lighter I like good old Tecate in a salted glass....and I will not share it with any blue helmets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Tecate- that's one I've not tried yet. I've seen it offered in a few restaurants, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

[/quote]

Well I am beginner at beer and have never heard about any of these beers before. Therefore I think I am going to have to go there this weekend (maybe today) to discover this new world of beer in Burnsville!

I am starting to think we should start a new beer thread...[/quote]

Fine by me! Despite the teasing I get by some who know I both a firearms enthusiast, and an avid home brewer- I strongly believe guns and beer go good together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:36 pm 

I don't buy much beer, but my fav so far is "La Fin Du Monde" from Unibroue.

Most of my beer consumption comes from home as I make my own, and usually much better than you can buy if I may be a bit cocky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:53 pm 

Where do you find Unibroue? I haven't seen it anywhere and it's supposed to be really good.

Know what Fin du Monde means? End of the World...the early explorers thought they'd reached the end of the world when they landed on this side of the ocean.

Have you tried Sleeman's Honey Brown? It has a very Belgian taste. The "domestic" Belgian beer, not the wild gueuze stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:53 pm 

Ok, I'm a beer snob by proxy. I don't drink, but both my fiancee and a good friend of mine are beer snobs.

Unibroue is sort of easy to come by I think, these days (by the way Joel, that was some of the stuff I brought, in case you are curious). I'd just look for a better than average beer distributor. (i.e. place that has more than coors light)

http://www.negia.net/%7Ebrew/mn.html might be helpful.

Some suggestions in addition to the unibroue stuff:
Rogue has good stuff
EKU
Sam Adams XXX is good, but expensive and almost a barley wine.
Spaten beers
Paulaner beers
St. Sixtus if you can find it
Xingu, brazilian beer if you can find it, is good
most of the belgian stuff is good (corsendonk, chimay, etc)

Also, if you can get the seasonal stuff:
Anchor Christmas, Rogue Santa's Reserve that sort of thing. Those are in high demand and very reputable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:40 pm 

I believe the la fin du monde was purchased at surdyks (SP?) but I'm not positive.

I don't really follow where I can buy stuff because if I find something I like, I work on trying to make it myself ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:54 pm 
1911 tainted

I know very little about the fine beers in the world, but I do like Anchor Steam.
So, seeing a post that mentioned Negra Modelo beer, I figured I would give it a try. Well, Glock is an excellent firearm, and Negra Modelo is probably a great beer, but personally, I don't care for either. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Purchased from a store is Miller Highlife and don't laugh!

I make my own some time that is much better... :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:58 am 

When I feel wealthy - or just in the mood for a *good* beer - I spring for a few half-litre bottles of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen. Mmmmmm.

The regular stuff is one of the Leinie's varieties. Their Bock is the best but isn't always available.

My younger son buys Bud Lite; I drink it but I don't buy it. If someone else is buying, I'll drink 'most anything.

JB

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Linie's Dark is good "thick" beer like I had and loved in Germany. The Northwoods lager is ok if you can't get the dark, and the Bock is better then the dark, when you can get it. Odd to hear Paulander noted as a "good" beer. That was the crap they sold in the clubs on post. It was just bearly denser then bud, but that was a pilsner, they never had the Hefe-Weizen on post.

Linie's has a good Honey Weizen also. Want to try something different, mix a glass of half Berry Weiz and half Honey Weizen. The Berry is too sweet to drink alone, but when cut with a Honey Weizen it is "quafable" on a hot summer evening.

I brought a case of Guiness from Germany home on leave one time. Odd beer, each bottle tasted different. From coffee to chocolet range. Poor buddy of mine wasn't really prepared for it. He was spinning pretty well after a couple bottles.

Mostly-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.