Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why the downtown is a ghost town 
 Post subject: Why the downtown is a ghost town
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

In the comments following an entry in Rambix's blog, a typical urban liberal ("pops") tried to explain how businesses were fleeing downtown Minneapolis because the economy was so bad, because of the Iraq war.

I had to make a few comments. I thought I'd share my fun with you here.

Pops wrote:
Quite simply, the burbanites aren't shopping or hanging out downtown anymore because too many business can't afford to operate there.

Andrew Rothman wrote:
The city offers incentive after incentive to get businesses to come and stay. Similar suburban businesses are doing just swell with no subsidies. And yet it's the downtown businesses that are closing.

What's the variable? Iraq, obviously. :roll:

No, pops.

It's the perception, if not the reality, that downtown isn't safe.

That perception is fed more by bad behavior -- loitering, littering, panhandling, foul-mouthed teens, to a large extent -- than by violent crime, but there's some of that, too.

Don't get me wrong: All that deficit spending will catch up with us, but it hasn't yet. The economy is, for the moment, just fine.

So what's the problem with the downtown? As the NRA likes to say...

It's the criminals, stupid.

To which I'd add, "and the city leaders that let them flourish."

By the way, the Star Tribune employee manual forbids its employees from carrying effective self defense tools. Shame on them.

Andrew Rothman wrote:
A quick perusal of newspaper archives found these comments on the real reasons that Minneapolis's downtown looks more like a ghost town.

A March 24, 2006 letter:

Quote:
It starts with begging

While I am deeply saddened by Michael Zebuhr's tragic murder, I am not shocked. Minneapolis has ceded Uptown - and many city neighborhoods - to an army of aggressive, mentally unstable and not- infrequently-armed panhandlers. This population, while not directly indictable, creates a legitimate perception of menace, and inhibits friendly, useful concourse on our streets. A pervasive climate of nuisance crime leads inevitably to higher, and now deadly illegality.

Tim White, Minneapolis

Steve Berg of the Star Trib write in June 2006 about "How New York got its groove back...and what it could mean for Minneapolis":

Quote:
While downtown Minneapolis is uncommonly free of serious crime, bands of obstreperous and unpredictable youths and other assorted street characters give the opposite impression. The high-profile killing of a pedestrian in the Warehouse District two months ago further stoked fears that respectful people have lost command of the sidewalks.

It's popular now for New Yorkers to ridicule Times Square's middle-brow excesses (a gigantic Gap, Niketown, ESPN Zone, MTV, Applebee's, etc.) and to bemoan Disney's role in sanitizing the area. But a cleaner, safer Times Square has leveraged more than $5 billion in private investment since 1990. Pedestrian traffic is up 200 percent. Loitering has disappeared. Broadway shows are back. Hotels and office towers are brimming. The homeless number only in the teens. Violent crime has declined by 85 percent in the district and 75 percent citywide. Street crime seems to have been priced out of the market.

Even the Star Tribune editorial board agrees, from June 25, 2006:

Quote:
These are people who spend their days on sidewalks downtown, or near downtown, bumming spare change, lurking in doorways, making lewd comments, fouling and littering bus stops, cursing and arguing, and generally making life miserable for everyone else. Some are mentally ill. Many are addicted. Many simply don't know how to behave in public, or don't care.

While violent criminals grab the headlines, the disorderly and dysfunctional pose as big a threat to the city's commerce, livability and well-being.

Let's be plain: Rude, intimidating behavior, left unchallenged, threatens the freedom and confidence of ordinary people to live secure, productive lives. The steady growth of disorder has already contributed to the closing of scores of retail businesses, the shift of thousands of jobs and the oft-heard vows of downtown visitors never to return. The director of Safe Zone, the police-business collaborative, was herself grabbed and groped recently while walking with a male companion on Hennepin Avenue in broad daylight.

A July 2, 2006 letter to the Strib took it a step farther:

Quote:
In "Disorder is as damaging as crime" (June 25), your editorial writer quoted from a reader's e-mail: "We were not harmed, but felt terrified."

"Terrorized" is the more appropriate word. I attended a private institution in downtown Minneapolis during my "formative" years and now refuse to go downtown in anything but a car and at any time except late at night or just before afternoon rush hour. A photographer, I cannot justify taking photos of "urban life" downtown as I do not feel safe by myself.

Call a spade a spade, please. Don't sugarcoat it and call it a shovel. We are fighting a war on terrorism overseas but ignoring the terrorism in our neighborhoods.

Ryan Coleman, Minneapolis

One more time, pops.

It's the criminals, stupid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well done! Good reasoned discussion. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:09 pm 
Delicate Flower

Nice job Andrew! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:31 am 

I stopped out their and looked at the discussion, and sadly I suspect your argument is lost on him. Good going anyhow.

I would add that the smoking ban has harmed dowtown quite a bit, many people I know used to go to the bars downtown after work, but when the ban was enacted, it was just as easy for them to go home, and hit the bar in their area. Once the slide begins in the nightlife, then it loses appeal to peole who are looking to go out with thier drinking pals, and the slide progresses.

This lack of nightlife would negatively impact the sale sector to a degree as well since people aren't downtown shopping between work and hitting the bar.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't cha love "pops"? Completely deaf to any reasonable statement that disagrees with him. Can't say he's a liberal, though, so much as a dummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

If businesses are fleeing Downtown Minneapolis, why is the IDS Center 95% full? It was only 50% full about 5 years ago. And why are they getting $25 a freaking square foot?!?!?

City Center is half empty because they just completed a major renovation and there was no access to half the businesses.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:00 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Perhaps they dont want to get shot walkign around block E

Perhaps we suburbanites dont like panhandlers

Perhaps we dont like crowds

Oh wait a minute - I have it - We dislike bunny hugging - tree loving - patchouli wearing hippie freaks that think that hugs and social programs are the cure for all ills.

I happen to love Minneapolis and am not afraid to go ANYWHERE in this area - I will not live in fear - I will use due caution but I will not be afraid of any man that walks this earth....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:52 pm 

For work related stuff, I have to be both downtown and uptown quite a bit during the evening hours. It sure looks to me like there are a whole lot of people out and about, just about every night of the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew:

+1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

It is an exaggeration to say that the downtown is a ghost town -- it's not.

But neither is it the thriving entertainment magnet that the city fathers have envisioned, over and over, through the last few decades.

And a good part of the reason that it isn't is that suburban folks don't consider it a safe and pleasant place to be.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:16 pm 

I used to be an old pro at the downtown area. I worked there for many years, knew the parking situation, knew the skyways, knew the shortcuts, knew the good restaurants for lunch and after work places, etc. I also lived about 8 minutes from the heart of downtown by way of Park and Portland Avenues since I lived right on Park at 48th. Still, in the 7 years I was living there and during the 4 years I worked down there, I can probably still count on both hands (and maybe a few toes) the number of times I went downtown for entertainment, shopping or for destination dining.

My wife and I loved Aquavit when it was open and ate there a couple of times a year, we went to a few concerts at Fine Line or Target Ctr. and took my in-laws there for Christmas shopping one year. It wasn't because I didn't feel safe, we always traveled the Skyways or in large groups to populated areas of downtown and RARELY after 11 pm. And most of that time I had my own reserved parking space and yet it was still a giant hassle to go downtown and be fed or entertained.

Dangerous or not, I just don't think there's that much sophisticated, upscale night life to be found there anymore (although the riverfront is getting better, if I remember right) and I'm not too interested in the "hooting, hollering and booze-up" scene, although that can be found closer to my suburb now, if I ever need it...

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Starting in the 1980s, groups of black youths -- kids, really -- began roaming downtown and on occasion beating up people. The fact that they were (and are) black has no particular significance, other than the simple reality that most white folks feel a degree of fear when approached by a group of black gangbangers, a feeling that is intensified if the thugs call them racial epithets and beat them badly enough to put them in the hospital.

I worked as a reporter for the Horrible Old Strib at the time, and it was kind of strange to have this going on while the staff, very much aware of it, was basically not allowed to write about it. Reporters are fairly normal people but there was this elephant in the room, you know, like nobody talks about how Mom gets falling-down drunk every night.

So nothing was said. There was just no way to write it without the story being at least somewhat specific about who was doing what and to whom. That would have amounted to saying that blacks were committing crimes against whites, and the Strib does not write that story.

The situation, as far as I know, has remained that way, without benefit of being remarked on by the press, for all these years. TV, however, is different. It operates under no such restrictions -- not the black-white thing, but the making-sense thing. WCCO-TV took a whack at it by reporting that "downtown businesses" were complaining that their customers were being frightened off by the "downtown crime problem."

They illustrated it with file footage of (drumroll, please) cops rousting a sleeping wino out of an alley. Never any mention of the exact nature of the problem, nor of who was doing what to whom.

If you didn't happen to know, you'd assume that people were not shopping downtown because of drunks sleeping in alleys.

A couple of reporter friends of mine tried to find ways to report it, but the editors kept bouncing the stories back because they were too negative. There was no way to put a positive spin on it, unless "The Percentage of Whites Who Had their Teeth Kicked in by Black Gangs Rose by a Smaller Than Predicted Percentage This Year" is a positive story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Political correctness and fear of profiling have killed downtown, then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Last night on TV news they reported that bars and restaurants are doing business at levels they haven't seen since 1991.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.