Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Glock 26 / 30 or Springfield XD Compact for conceal carry? 
 Post subject: Glock 26 / 30 or Springfield XD Compact for conceal carry?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:57 pm 
First-time poster

I'm currently considering the Glock subcompacts against the Springfield XD Compact. Here's what I've found from my own investigation (springfields website lacks good data).

Glocks - smaller overall, added feature of being able to buy grip extensions and larger magazines, sort of like having 2 guns in one.

Springfield - slightly longer and taller, felt heavier in the store but their web information would suggest otherwise, more safety features (safety is certainly important to me).

My main questions -

How much weight and length does it take to make a big difference for conceal carry? We're talking roughly 1/2" longer and a 1/2" taller for the Springfield. Is that a big deal? Especially since I wear dress clothes and probably would have to go with a Smartcarry type holster?

Would anyone say the Glock is that much better than the Springfield or vice versa?

One thing I found in the Glocks is that I shot better with a 9mm or .45. over the .40. The .40's snap was harder for me to get back on target quickly. Do you think I'd have the same experience with the Springfield? I haven't been able to find the .40 to shoot yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

You can also find a grip extension for the XD's.

I think you'll also find similar results with those calibers in the XD line. 40 cal will be snappier.

XD's tend to be more inexpensive than Glocks.

Personally, I don't feel like I have a secure grip on the Glock sub-compacts.

Size and fit are very personal considerations.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:01 pm 
The Man

Weight differences make a great deal of difference to some people, and not to others. DDB is far less weight-sensitive than I am, for example, in finds carrying an all-steel snubby not a problem, while I very strongly prefer an airweight. (That's for pocket carry; an all-steel snubby isn't a problem for me with a good holster and a good belt.)

So I can't be of any help there.

I very much like grip safeties -- they seem to add additional safety without adding additional ways to let things go wrong; I don't think that, under stress, it's easy to forget to grip the firearm tightly, thereby disengaging the safety. The XD points particularly well for quite a few people -- it points better for me than the Glock, so, for me, if I was buying something new, it would definitely be the XD rather than the Glock.

That said, I've been spending a fair amount of time with my Glocks of late, and I'm liking them more and more.

Bottom line: if it were me, I'd go for the XD, but wouldn't think it would be a mistake to go for the Glock. For belt carry, I would likely go for the Glock 23 if I were going with a Glock -- I'm comfortable with the 40 Smith & Wesson's recoil in that size frame -- but would not feel that I had made a mistake if I ended up with the Glock 19, or the Glock 26 -- as long as I had the grip extensions.

All that said, I've also been spending a fairly large amount of time dry handling my 1911 of late, and then getting more and more comfortable with the notion of that on the belt.

And all that said, the convenience and tactical advantages for civilian carry of the pocket snubby are still persuasive to me, and I doubt that is ever going to change.

As always: Your Mileage May Vary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

My carry gun is an XD-45. It has the same grip angle as my 1911, so for me it's easier to aim. The grip saftey, as Joel pointed out, doesn't take any concious effort to use, simply gripping the gun takes care of that.
I've owned 2 XD's so far, and never once had the trigger not pull because of my grip.
Nothing against Glocks, they're very reliable guns, but for me the XD was the way to go.

Something else to think about, maybe it doesn't matter to you, but all Springfield Armory pistols come with a lifetime warranty, including shipping both ways. I had to send my 1911 back once for a minor repair, the customer service people were great to work with, and my gun got back to me very quickly.
Not sure what Glocks warranty is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd make the choice based on what shoots best for me. I prefer the XD, though the Glock is a fine weapon too. The XD-SC is my carry weapon. I find it very comfortable and reasonably easy to conceal. (Until we develop zero space concealment technology, no gun will be terribly easy to conceal.)

What you might try is trying the guns under consideration in a belly band sized for your hips underneath dress pants. This should give you some idea of which conceals better for you without spending a wad.

Keep in mind that your ability to conceal with the SmartCarry may require some modification in your attire if you usually wear a closer-fit pant. The looser-fit pants, especially those with pleated fronts, will conceal better than a snugger, flat-front pant. Also, your male body shape is more conducive to this type of carry than a female one, at least as far as concealment is concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a Glock 29 -- same size as the 30, I believe. I think weight and size make a difference, and 1/2" in each direction might as well, although it depends on your size and what you wear.

I'd buy a subcompact Springfield tomorrow if they made one in 10mm. I like their grip safety, although my initial unease about the lack of a "normal" SA/DA safety on the Glock is long gone, I'm just careful about how I holster and unholster it, since that's the only way the trigger is getting pulled accidentally, and pulling the trigger is the only way it's going bang.

I don't think you could go wrong with either gun. Buy whatever fits and feels better, and if both of those factors are equal, buy whatever has the holster you like best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, I admit to being biased towards Glock. I have the 26 and the 19, and average to average+ hands. I actually shoot the 26 better even though there is that dangling pinky issue...well, non-issue I guess for me.

Of the two Glocks, I carry the 19 about 99% over the 26. That small difference in size turned out to be a non-consideration in practice; plus the extra 5 rounds is a plus factor.

A great holster for the G19 is the ECP from http://rmholsters.com; highly recommended as are the mag pouches from the same maker.

Having said I prefer Glock, I also very much like the XD's. I have shot them all, but don't own one. That may change soon if I can find a great deal on one. ($500 on sale at Gander is not my idea of a great sale!)

I have about 5000 rounds through my primary G19; it has never failed. It is hard to have thoughts about replacing it. I did change the sights to the TFO from Tru-Glo, and that really helped olde phart eyes.

You can't go wrong really with either choice. Try both, pick one and enjoy.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:59 am 
Forum Moderator

phorvick wrote:
I did change the sights to the TFO from Tru-Glo, and that really helped olde phart eyes.

Tru-Glo Tritium Fiber Optic -- these are great, I put them on my G29.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:51 am 
Longtime Regular

phorvick wrote:
($500 on sale at Gander is not my idea of a great sale!)

Not when I got mine there for $389. But, you won't find a good price on XD's at Gander. Gander got in trouble with Springfield for selling at a price much lower than anybody else on a nationwide basis.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:45 am 

My Springfield XD SC 9 was carried for 6 mos, now does bedroom duty. G26 is the choice for daily carry. The Springfield has a rail mount for a small tac/laser light. I am small framed and carry IWB, the Glock has slightly smoother corners. I like the Glock sights a little better. With the pierce grip extension I can carry 12+1 and still be as small or smaller than the Springfield. Both are great and have shot 3000-4000 rounds flawlessly. My .02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have pretty much settled on the XD9 Bi-Tone for my future carry sidearm.

Now I must decide between the sub-compact and the service model. Any advice? Ultimately, I think I'll be happy with either.

What would be considered a good price? Am I going to be able to find one for under $500?

What a beautiful handgun:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I shot an XD Bi-Tone at the range and found the slide gets slippery and hard to rack. I am not sure if it was a bit oily or had water on it from sweat.

For a better eval you might want to PM IDPAShooter as he has one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is pretty

[http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976697012.htm#larger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum.

My choice would be the XD. I also find shorter barrel (IWB help) and shorter grip (less show through your cover garment) easier to carry. So pick a more compact XD model maybe a good compromise. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:10 pm 

I have seen "used" XDSC 9's at Gander in Mtka. I bought mine "used" with case, 2 mags, etc for about $470. Near as I could tell it was new. Later saw one "used" with 3 mags, tac light, case holster etc. for under $500

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.