Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Road rage: Robbinsdale cop shot in Coon Rapids 
 Post subject: Road rage: Robbinsdale cop shot in Coon Rapids
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:40 pm 

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1232385.html

"Police found a handgun when the man was arrested. He had a permit for his handgun."

Lets hope that part isn't true!

Post subject: Re: Road rage: Robbinsdale cop shot in Coon Rapids
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:05 pm 
1911 tainted

motoman wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1232385.html

"Police found a handgun when the man was arrested. He had a permit for his handgun."

Lets hope that part isn't true!

Take it at face value. When the press mentions that a person had a permit for their handgun, they can mean it was not stolen, so they considered it legally owned and registered in Minnesota.
No, Minnesota does not have registration, but the news media is so confused as to what really is, they just report gibberish with their breaking stories. :roll:

Wait and see what the truth is. But what if he did have permit, with this negative, can't we find 10 times or more positives,,,I hope.

But the good side of a permit to carry doesn't bleed, so it won't lead or get reported. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 pm 

I saw the reports of this this afternoon, heard about it on the radio on the way home from work, and watched the t.v. news about it. A number of things don't sound quite right. One report questioned why the undercover officer was out of his jurisdiction, while a later report had his supervisor stating that he travels all over the city in his job. Witnesses apparently reported both drivers were beligerant to the other, which again, strikes me as odd behavior at least for the undercover cop who would be trained to assess the situation (i.e., not get into a shouting match with some fellow driver). Also heard a report that the citizen had his family in the car, and that after the shooting, immediately stopped at a station to call the police and report it. Stopping at a safe place to report the incident sounds exactly what a permit holder is supposed to do after a shooting. This evening's report said the citizen shot a number of bullets into the cop's car, but the cop never fired his gun. It also said that the cop got hit in both legs, but also that the officer was released from the hospital at around 8:00 this evening. Because of his undercover work, they wouldn't identify him and apparently didn't get the chance to speak with him directly. She concluded the report by stating the police were going to talk with the undercover cop in the morning to get his side of the story because he's exhausted from today's events.

I'm just guessing--which I probably shouldn't do--but it would appear at this stage that possibly some permit holder (a fact I still question) out with his family may have felt they were all in danger because of another driver's road rage. Bottom line is there is more to this than so far reported.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Let's see "road rage" and

Quote:
wife and two toddlers in his car

and

Quote:
and the suspect didn't know he was shooting at an officer

Yes, there are lots of facts yet to be discovered and disclosed, but initially my response is "what a dickwad, he should be greybarred just for stupid.........."

...and don't start automatically hammering on the LEO................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
...and don't start automatically hammering on the LEO.................

...nor giving him a free pass. Let's wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

First blush: Oh crap.
Second thought: Either the guy with his family immediately went into CYA mode or he has a permit and a good instructor told him about the race to the phone.

I'm with one bohemian. This could have other angles. It _could_ be defensible on the civilian's side. It _could_ be both sides' fault for being beligerent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 pm 
1911 tainted

As always, it is a kind of he said, she said story as of now.

Hopefully the true story comes out, that means witnesses. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Yup.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:36 pm 
The Man

I'm not going to assume anything -- including that the Strib got the details right. This could be anything from a clear-cut self-defense shooting to, for all we know, a guy flipping out because some other guy flipped him the bird, or any number of other things.

Guessing's fine. Nobody's going to jail -- or losing his badge -- over any of our guesses, but that's all we're doing at this point.

The one thing that's clear is that whatever else the shooter did, he knew enough to call 911 after, and his family knew enough not to shoot off their mouths. That's consistent with him being anywhere from totally in the right to totally in the wrong, of course.

Be interesting to see more details. I'm curious as to who the attorney is going to be. (If it's the guy who I'd recommend, I won't have any further comment; I don't talk publicly about David's pending cases.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
As always, it is a kind of he said, she said story as of now.

Hopefully the true story comes out, that means witnesses. :?

Informed witnesses who KNOW what they saw and don't just think they saw what they know :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:51 pm 
1911 tainted

If there are no neutral witnesses, the LEO's account is, or will be consider fact.

Sorry, that is the way it is......

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Too little info to make any judgements yet. However, I can hear the antis screaming already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

This seams strange and there is much more to this story. Unmarked police car and a family of 4 in a SUV.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:59 pm 
The Man

Srigs wrote:
This seams strange and there is much more to this story. Unmarked police car and a family of 4 in a SUV.
Sure, it's strange. But, hey, life is strange -- those facts are utterly consistent with moron husband showing his wife what a big man he is and things spiraling out, or undercover cop thinking with his ... badge and trying to push somebody around to the point where the somebody figured that he and/or his family were in immediate danger of death or GBH, or any of another bunch of things.

Definitely more to the story. And I'm very curious; wish there was some local endeavor whose business it was to send out well-trained people to find out interesting things, collate and edit the information, then accurately report such things to the public, say, by printing such reports on inexpensive paper.

Instead, we've got the Star Tribune.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:06 pm 

joelr wrote:
Definitely more to the story. And I'm very curious; wish there was some local endeavor whose business it was to send out well-trained people to find out interesting things, collate and edit the information, then accurately report such things to the public, say, by printing such reports on inexpensive paper.

Instead, we've got the Star Tribune.

That's a bit too long for a sig-line, but, wow! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: More reporting...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:37 am 
The Man

... this time from the Pioneer Press:
Quote:
Road rage blamed for cop's shooting
Relatives say suspect fired on undercover Robbinsdale officer to protect his family
BY MARY BAUER and DAVE ORRICK
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 06/08/2007 12:04:00 AM CDT

A rolling argument between a Robbinsdale undercover officer and a Coon Rapids man escalated into an apparent full-blown case of road rage Thursday.

In the end, the officer was shot, asuspect, the father of two children who were in his vehicle during the shooting, is in jail.

The Robbinsdale police chief said his officer was just doing his job. But the suspect's family said the plainclothes officer pulled his gun and that the man fired to protect his family.

"This is a case of people letting their tempers get out of control," said Timothy Snell, deputy police chief for Coon Rapids. "It escalated and became a deadly force situation just because of some petty misdemeanor driving issues."

Martin Scott Treptow, 35, of Coon Rapids, was arrested. Police refused to release the 27-year-old officer's name, saying he was working undercover, but he is described as a six-year veteran of the Robbinsdale police force. He sustained injuries to both legs and an arm, although investigators aren't sure how many shots were fired.

The incident was particularly dangerous, Snell said, because the area was crowded with people. Many now are witnesses, he said.

Here is the account Coon Rapids police have pieced together so far:

The officer and Treptow were headed south on Woodcrest Drive Northwest toward 99th Avenue in Coon Rapids just before 2:30 p.m. Thursday.

Treptow, his wife, Rebecca, and their two children, ages 6 months and 6 years, were in a Buick Rendezvous
SUV. The officer drove an unmarked police car. The original dispute began at a stop sign.

Snell said investigators weren't sure what started the dispute but that it was something petty.

Both vehicles turned east on 99th Avenue. The altercation continued, with yelling and shouting. As both cars approached Foley Boulevard, the officer pulled onto the shoulder. The Rendezvous pulled up slightly behind the officer's car on the driver's side.

Meanwhile, the yelling match continued. Treptow reached past his wife in the passenger seat and fired more than one shot into the police officer's vehicle, Snell said. Despite the Treptow family's comments, investigators are not clear on whether the police officer pulled his gun. He did not fire his weapon, Snell said.

The officer got out of his vehicle and fell to the shoulder of the road. His car rolled backward across 99th Avenue and came to rest behind a pizza restaurant. The officer was treated at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis and released.

Treptow and his wife drove to a Holiday gas station across U.S. 10 and called police. Both adult Treptows were taken into custody without incident. Rebecca Treptow later was released. Martin Treptow is being held in the Anoka County Jail on suspicion of aggravated assault. His handgun was collected as evidence.

"It does not appear they knew that he was an officer," Snell said.

They didn't, Martin Treptow's family said. They say the officer never identified himself as a law enforcement official.

Treptow has a license to carry and conceal a gun, Snell said, and according to family he worked as a security guard for six years. He has no known criminal history in Minnesota, beyond a single traffic incident more than a decade ago, according to police and court records.

"We've got a renegade cop from Robbinsdale, and I'm pissed," said Martin J. Treptow, the suspect's father. "We want answers. We're getting runaround treatment."

The older Treptow said that, according to his daughter-in-law Rebecca, the officer was tailgating them closely. His son stopped because the car in front of him was pulling into a strip mall.

At some point, the officer pulled onto the shoulder, and Treptow honked, his father said. The officer stopped his car, "pulls a gun out and pointed it in my daughter-in-law's face," the suspect's father said.

"What was my son supposed to do?" Treptow asked. "People have a right to protect themselves and their family."

Nearby residents and drivers heard the shots and yelling.

Cory Alsaker and his roommate were in their apartment when they heard a gunshot. They went to the window and saw a man lying on the shoulder, both legs bleeding.

"It looked like he was shot across both kneecaps," Alsaker said.

Before placing him in the ambulance, paramedics went through the officer's pockets and pulled out a pair of handcuffs. Alsaker realized then the injured man was a police officer.

Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum said outside the hospital that his officer was doing well, the Associated Press reported.

"He's in good spirits, and he looked at me and said, 'Geez,' he says, 'I'm sorry, Chief.' And I went, 'Hey, it's not your fault, you're doing your job, you're doing what you're paid to do.' "

Snell said the investigation continues. He said the Robbinsdale officer was on duty at the time of the shooting, but investigators don't know if he was in Coon Rapids working on a case.

Snell said the entire episode likely could have been avoided if cooler heads had prevailed.

"It wasn't just the danger for the people involved, but for everyone," he said. "There were people everywhere."

Staff reporter John Brewer contributed to this story.

Hmmm....

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.