Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Carry gun for $300? 
 Post subject: Carry gun for $300?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:19 am 

Number 1 son is getting out of the Marines this fall and wants to get his carry permit when he returns. He has also told me he wants to buy my baby Colt (.380 Govt.). Unfortunately for him, I have a "never sell a gun" policy.

Now #1 son says he only wants to spend $300 for his carry gun. Me, being a carring father, told him he should plan on spending at least $500 to get something nice and dependable.

My question for the gallery, is there anything out there for $300 you'd trust with your life? I'm thinking maybe an East German Makarov but I'm not wild about the 9x18 cartridge.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Carry gun for $300?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Number 1 son is getting out of the Marines this fall and wants to get his carry permit when he returns. He has also told me he wants to buy my baby Colt (.380 Govt.). Unfortunately for him, I have a "never sell a gun" policy.

So that you don't bend your "never sell a gun" policy,
you might consider that he has earned a gift...............:lol:

Else, if he likes .380 take a look at a Bersa Thunder 380.
http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

and make sure to thank him for his service.

Last edited by hammAR on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:36 am 
Longtime Regular

This isn't in line with your question, and I also have a no sell gun policy,but for a son coming out of the United States Marine Corp. I think I would rethink my policy. The next alternative is to kick in the difference for a Colt Goverment 380 just like dads. He will remember either of these for the rest of his life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:44 am 

For $50-$75 more than he's willing to spend you could get a S&W 442 airlight 38 special +P snubby. Exremely light, comfoartable, and easy to conceal. Nothing is more reliable than a newish revolver.

Or you can buy like a G17 for $365 + FFL services. He has some other really nice deal on refurbs.

Post subject: Oh, there's lots of choices
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:25 am 
The Man

...as long as you're willing to go used. You can, if you look, find J-Frames and a very few Model 66s for under $300. Just the other day, I saw a Beretta 92 at Streichers for $275.

And anybody who would be willing to carry a .380 should have no trouble at all with the slightly more powerful Makarov.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Oh, there's lots of choices
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:06 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
...as long as you're willing to go used. You can, if you look, find J-Frames and a very few Model 66s for under $300. Just the other day, I saw a Beretta 92 at Streichers for $275.

And anybody who would be willing to carry a .380 should have no trouble at all with the slightly more powerful Makarov.

Along that line, there are a lot of CZ82's on the market right now. Around $200 for C&R online orders, and about $250 under the glass. (Better deal than that are probably around.) Mine seems to be quite accurate and carries very easy.

.02 from out west

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:36 am 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
Else, if he likes .380 take a look at a Bersa Thunder 380.
http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

+1 Definitely worth a look. I have one and it is very reliable. He should be able to find a new for $200 or less.

If he wants to shoot mine, PM me. Always willing to help out a serviceman. I'm sure others would be too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Stoeger cougar for $349 at cabellas.

copy of the Beretta Cougar made in Turkey. It seemingly is a Good gun for the $$$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:13 am 

id say give him one as a gift
dont you think he deserves it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Always willing to help out a serviceman. I'm sure others would be too.

That is a given......
I have a few 1911's available if he just wants to go shoot and BS....... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:51 am 
Look into the Taurus 85. (snubby .38 ) I find mine reliable, surprisingly accurate and light enough to comfortably carry. Plus they are fairly inexpensive. ($200 give or take) And like most of the rest of the boys here, if he would like to take one for a "test drive" I'd be happy to help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:46 pm 
In the time out chair

Your first instinct was entirely correct......he should buy his own gun.

A man should buy his own gun.....he appreciates it and values it more......and probably takes care of it better.

You are also correct in telling him that he would have to spend at least $500......(staying away from cheap, off-brands is wise).

But......there is good news.

He's military, so he can pick up a brand new Glock at Streicher's for about $475 including the good night sights......$398.20 without the night sights.

Why carry a .380 when you can get a real 9mm at such a deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd definitely have to say yes to the CZ-82. Probably the best deal for the money out there right now.

Post subject: It's VERY doable for a little more than that
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:28 pm 

For $359 NIB at the Gunstop, you can get an EAA Witness in either 10mm, which is a kick-ass caliber (and 14+1 capacity at that) or the TRUE love of anyone who has EVER been a jarhead, which is the 45 ACP. :D (10+1 capacity too!!)

Both guns are all steel, ungodly strong ( I took my EAA 45 up to full 45 Super loads, with 185 grain XTP's going 1250 FPS. :shock: ), and are DA/SA, so you can carry with the hammer down, and still rock and roll in an instant.

My original carry gus WAS and EAA 10mm, even though I have quite a few guns and some cost a BUNCH more than that. At the time though, the combination of concealibility, power, and high capacity made the 10mm the top choice out of my gun safe.

To really enjoy the 10mm, however, you have to handload, and factory ammo is expensive. And besides, there is this TRADITION thing!! A jarhead NEEDS to have a 45 Automatic on them somewhere, just like an Irishman needs to have a hip flask of Jameson on them!!

Definitely the EAA Witness in 45 ACP!! Howard normally has one in stock at the gunstop. Your son can try mine if he wants to come out to Oakdale sometime - PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:45 pm 

Thanks for all the replies, I was helping with Ladies Day at my gun club so I've been away from the computer.

For all of you who think I should give him a gun as a gift, I've thought about it. Trouble is he's proud and stubborn (wonder where he got that from). I gave him an external hard drive for his birthday, as he was shipboard at the time and he wanted a place to store his digital pictures. He got mad at me and told me I shouldn't be buying him expensive gifts like that and he was going to pay me back when he gets home. :roll:

Secondly, thanks to all for the offers of range time and shooting. I'm not sure what #1 son's plans are when he gets home, but I'll keep it in mind.

Lastly, while I've told him I wouldn't sell him the baby Colt I did tell him he could borrow it untill he found something he likes.

Six days and a wake-up and he'll be back on American soil.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.