Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:51 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 INSTRUCTORS WANTED 
 Post subject: INSTRUCTORS WANTED
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I’ve been thinking (a extremely dangerous activity) about the recent letter from the founder of the United States Conceal and Carry Association I just received, a portion of which is “pasted” below.

Is there any instructor or a group of instructors willing to put on a mini handgun class for any of the local and out-state media that could be convinced it would be worthwhile to attend? Maybe we could include our politicians as well.

For such a purpose, I would be willing to provide $200.00 in seed money to get the message out. Flyers, handouts, hard costs, etc.

If any (or several) instructor(s) would put on such an informative class, I would be willing to go even further. I would be willing to pay for a space (classroom at Bill’s, for example) for a few hours and would pay for the lane times and all the ammunition.

I think it would be worthwhile to get people with influence to become comfortable with firearms and to become aware of the knowledge, awareness, restrictions and liabilities we as people who carry a firearm deal with.

Stupid idea, or what?

<snip>
“……OK... here is the big story for this report!

Last week I took a LIBERAL to the shooting range! No, I
didn't take him to the range to shoot HIM. I took him to the range to go shooting with ME!

Don't worry! Your trusted friend, Tim (that's me), has not gone over to the dark side. The story is actually quite interesting.

About a month ago, I stumbled across an article that a journalist for the major Milwaukee newspaper had written regarding concealed carry.

Well, as you can imagine, this guy had written an article questioning why ANYONE would EVER want or NEED to carry a gun!!!

I just couldn't help myself. I started to type a well-worded, yet quite inflammatory e-mail to this "journalist" explaining to him exactly what I thought about what he had written...

Then I thought to myself, "Is this e-mail really going to convince this guy to my way of thinking?" Probably not.

I deleted all of my harsh words and instead asked him if
he'd be interested in going shooting with me! I honestly
didn't think I'd ever hear back from this guy.

I was wrong. About 2 days later, I got an e-mail back from him... He had accepted my offer.

So... we set up a "shooting date". He met me at my office
last week and we proceeded to spend an afternoon at my
shooting club.

You guys would have gotten a kick out of this. To say that
this guy had never even touched a gun before would be a
huge understatement.

The first thing I did was to slowly explain to him the four fundamentals of firearms safety. He seemed to understand the concepts pretty well, so we prepared to shoot.

We started with my Glock 21 (I wasn't going to let him touch
my Kimber!). We loaded up a few magazines and I walked him
to the 7 yard line. As I handed him the gun and the magazine, the look in on his face was priceless.

He managed to insert the magazine and successfully chamber
a round. As he gripped the gun, he kept wanting to cross his weak hand thumb behind his strong hand thumb. You know, RIGHT BEHIND THE SLIDE! I explained to him that the slide wouldn't care if his thumb was in the way... it would be coming
backward... really fast.

Finally, he had a good grip and managed to squeeze off a few rounds. He was a little surprised with the recoil, but by the look in his eyes I could tell that he was pretty excited about the idea of shooting a gun.

We continued to shoot for awhile and he even managed to
group a few shots together!

Now, I don't think he joined the NRA or even the USCCA
later that night. But I do know one thing. By taking this
guy shooting, I opened his mind up to something that he'd
never known before.

Pretty good story, huh?.....”

<snip>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would be glad to help. Up here in the tundra I hosted a free media day earlier this Summer. Got a nice write up in the local paper and it was carried in several other local publications. It was not a Pulitzer article, but got the jop done in a good atmosphere.

http://shootingsafely.com/tribunearticle.pdf

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:14 pm 
Delicate Flower

Count me in ................an excellent way to communicate to the media etc. that we are a not a bunch of loose cannons. I would give of my time for this. Some thoughts......

* several instructors each covering their strongest area (s)
* no more than 1/2 day in class (yes it would be tight...)
* balance of the day on the range with 1 on 1 with instructor
* variety of handguns to shoot
* offer full class at reduced price @ later date for those interested

If we go with it I will also help set it up..........anybody else??? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Glad to help. I actually speak fluent Journalist (got my degree in it), and would be glad to assist with writing the invitations and preparing the event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:07 am 
Longtime Regular

try and bring a few lady and Pink Pistol shooters along too so the reporter can see it's more than just a bunch of rednecks.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:51 am 
Delicate Flower

matt160 wrote:
try and bring a few lady and Pink Pistol shooters along too so the reporter can see it's more than just a bunch of rednecks.

Maybe, better yet, a female instructor (redneck or not) :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:14 am 

Count me in! It is fun when you see new shooters enjoy themselves (even if it is the media). It would be good for them to see instructors from different training orginizations handle themselves with professionalism. Sounds like a great day!

Don Larson
MDL Inc.

Post subject: Definitely Good to Have Some Diversity
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:08 am 

I was really offended when the sheriff of Dakota County ( I think is was Dakota in 2003) reportedly said most of his permit applicants were overweight, out of shape white men in their 50's who lived in good neighborhoods. I particularly resented it as it pretty well describes me.

Some of my work friends are amazed that like to shoot with "those uneducated rednecks who are the NRA". I delight in pointing out that in my NRA instructor class we had a PhD, a published author, an RN, two engineers, an attorney, etc. My first NRA instructor was a professional photographer and his MD buddy helped out on the line. My favorite to date was the bigoted " All you Jews like to shoot" I liked that because I'm a born and raised Presbyterian and who serves my church as an Elder.

People are funny but I totally agree with Andrew. The bottom line is more racially and socially diverse the mix the better! Also, if they are well spoken and photograph well, all the better.

ttousi wrote:
matt160 wrote:

Maybe, better yet, a female instructor (redneck or not) :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
My favorite to date was the bigoted " All you Jews like to shoot" I liked that because I'm a born and raised Presbyterian and who serves my church as an Elder.

I only wish more Jews liked to shoot. So far, there's just me... and Rosenberg... and Gross... and Oleg Volk... Okay, so there are a few!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

VERY COOL!!! :D :D :D

Would the instructors who are interested in participating, be willing to get together and hammer out some of the logistics?

Just let me know who to send the check to, and when.

It’s starting to sound like a lot of fun and a worthwhile cause.

Thanks, guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:18 pm 
1911 tainted

:)

Last edited by cobb on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think the best results will come not from a mailing, or a mass emailing, but one-on-one telephone contact from instructors to reporters:

"Hey, Sam, I have read your reporting on public affairs, and it tends to be very fair and balanced. We are trying to help reporters like you to get a better understanding of carry issues and the education and background checks that permit holders go through. I know you're a fair-minded person who likes to get both sides of the story, so why don't you come out and see a typical carry class for yourself?"

My concern is that journalists need a "hook" -- something timely to which the story can be tied -- something like an anniversary (next May?), a milestone (35,000 permits?) or a government report (BCA's annual report to the Lege on carry permit issues).

We need to find that hook, anticipate it, and plan around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I assume you guys can figure the best way to get the contacts and make them. I even thought about a phone bank and stuff like that. I just know that there will always be some hard costs involved in any undertaking like this. I also can see politicians being invited, as well. Ultimately, it is up to you instructors to work out the details.

I don’t have a lot of time myself, but other (non-instructor?) members of this board might willing to make calls, stuff envelops, contact their legislators, or generally get the word out and make some personal invitations.

I have no idea what kind of response you can generate. I assume the tops would be a hundred, but expect the probability is more like a dozen. Even a few would be beneficial to our cause, in that they will be communicating their experience to their coworkers and friends. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:28 pm 
Delicate Flower

I am thinking along the same line as Andrew....one on one personal invitations. Also, I think there has to be a cap on the # of individuals. Just like a real class we need to only work with the # that we can handle and get good results. We can always schedule another session.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
I am thinking along the same line as Andrew....one on one personal invitations. Also, I think there has to be a cap on the # of individuals. Just like a real class we need to only work with the # that we can handle and get good results. We can always schedule another session.

More than one class is all right with me. Obviously if 100 people were actually interested, even Bill’s would be too small. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.