Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 "Interviewed" last night. 
 Post subject: "Interviewed" last night.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Came out of the Uptown Rainbow, 11-ish, with a cart full of groceries, and my wife present. As I'm loading them, we are approached by a dark-complected fellow, starting "excuse me, sir", who indicated that he was out of gas and his car and wife were "just down the street". Before he got too close, I got my hand free of what I was doing (loading bags), made sure my wife was behind me, and unsnapped the retention strap from my holster, then hand on the grips, and said "No, thank you" to the fellow. He took off. Odd, because if he needed gas, there certainly would have been others to ask for aid. For that matter, why didn't he just call a friend?

I think I passed that test, he didn't get inside 20 feet from us before he realized he wasn't getting much out of us.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:00 pm 

Wow! I'm betting there was a bit of adrenaline rushing there . . . . .

Well done! I just hope I would be as calm and collected if in a similar circumstance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well done. You have to be aware of your surroundings all the time, even while at Rainbow.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:27 pm 

Moby Clarke wrote:
Well done. You have to be aware of your surroundings all the time, even while at Rainbow.

I have had that situation before but it never came to me putting my hand on my gun. they usually leave before it gets that far

Post subject: Re: "Interviewed" last night.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:43 pm 
1911 tainted

chunkstyle wrote:
Came out of the Uptown Rainbow, 11-ish, with a cart full of groceries, and my wife present. As I'm loading them, we are approached by a dark-complected fellow, starting "excuse me, sir", who indicated that he was out of gas and his car and wife were "just down the street". Before he got too close, I got my hand free of what I was doing (loading bags), made sure my wife was behind me, and unsnapped the retention strap from my holster, then hand on the grips, and said "No, thank you" to the fellow. He took off. Odd, because if he needed gas, there certainly would have been others to ask for aid. For that matter, why didn't he just call a friend?

I think I passed that test, he didn't get inside 20 feet from us before he realized he wasn't getting much out of us.

I think you did good, situation awareness and took the correct actions with the verbal rebuttal that took control of the situation.

He didn't even question this change in situation, he left.

Did you see him approach anyone else? If it was a true situation with him, I would think he would go to the next available person to request help, or at least ask you to call someone for him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:58 pm 
Delicate Flower

This has been common for a few years............. variations....flat tire, need to pay for tow etc........I simply offer to call the local PD and request assistance for them.

For some reason they usually decline and move along. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:18 pm 

What?? With your avatar you didn't tell the fellow that you had a BIG can of EXTRA CHUNKY whoopass in your grocery bag that you were gonna open up if he came any closer??

Seriously, good call. I had the same shit happen to me less than a month ago in broad daylight outside of the EFFEN Gopher bar. If it had been 11 o'clock at night with my wife with me, I would have done the exact same thing you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:47 pm 
Journeyman Member

+1 I agree good job. Thanks for reminding us of the constant need for awarness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seismic Sam wrote:
What?? With your avatar you didn't tell the fellow that you had a BIG can of EXTRA CHUNKY whoopass in your grocery bag that you were gonna open up if he came any closer??

Seriously, good call. I had the same shit happen to me less than a month ago in broad daylight outside of the EFFEN Gopher bar. If it had been 11 o'clock at night with my wife with me, I would have done the exact same thing you did.

Sorry, no extra-chunky can of whoopass. All I had was a li'l ol' 8-shot 9x18 Makarov. Went to Mark's shop on Lake and Chicago today, but I took the .357...

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:58 pm 
Delicate Flower

Seismic Sam wrote:

You went without inviting us :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:19 pm 

My rehearsed reply is a terse "NOT INTERESTED"

If they break the resulting silence with more BS, I come back with "I NEED MONEY FOR BULLETS, I NEED MONEY FOR BULLETS" with just a slightly maniacal tone.

That really seems to do the trick as if a warning light starts flashing in the guy's head:

ALERT: CRAZY WHITE MO-FO, WE BE BACKIN AWAY NOW.

I COMPLETELY AVOID the Hiawatha Cub Foods after dark after being hasseled about 50% of the time in their parking lot. The Hiawatha / Lake Rainbow closes at Midnight and their higher prices bumps the desperate element over to the Cub across the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:43 pm 

Did you notify the police you had to use your weapon? that guy has your license plate number, and could've called a "man threatened me then drove off" and you would've gotten a free night in jail..

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:07 am 
Longtime Regular

12smile wrote:
My rehearsed reply is a terse "NOT INTERESTED"

If they break the resulting silence with more BS, I come back with "I NEED MONEY FOR MORE BULLETS, I NEED MONEY FOR MORE BULLETS" with just a slightly maniacal tone.

That really seems to do the trick as if a warning light starts flashing in the guy's head:

ALERT: CRAZY WHITE MO-FO, WE BE BACKIN AWAY NOW.

I COMPLETELY AVOID the Hiawatha Cub Foods after dark after being hasseled about 50% of the time in their parking lot. The Hiawatha / Lake Rainbow closes at Midnight and their higher prices bumps the desperate element over to the Cub across the street.

Fixed it for ya.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:28 pm 

He didn't use his weapon, he didn't threaten the guy, he didn't "brandish" his weapon.. Different circumstances though and he may have had explaining to do, with that I do agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:02 pm 
Journeyman Member

This is typical Uptown criminal MO, I just tell them "no". Other than calling just to be on the safe side in case the bad guy calls it in, Minneapolis has an agressive panhandling ordinance. Since you were next to your parked vehicle, this would qualify.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-reporting/AggressivePanhandling.asp

Minneapolis City Ordinance 385.60 defines Aggressive Solicitation as:
Verbal requests for money or an item or offering an item or service of little value for a donation in the following locations:

Restroom
Within 10 feet in any direction from a crosswalk
Public transportation vehicle or facility
On any park land, playground or public entertainment venue, including within 50 feet of entry or exits
Bus or Light Rail stop or shelter
Parked/stopped vehicle
Sidewalk café
Entrance of commercial or government building
Within 80 feet in any direction from an ATM or financial institution (previous distance was 20 feet)
At or within 10 feet of gas station, liquor store, or convenience store property

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.