Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:21 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Define "brandishing" 
 Post subject: Define "brandishing"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

My husband, who just finished POST training for Minnesota, informs me that simply open carrying a firearm can be considered brandishing.

1. Is brandishing objectively defined in the law, or is it up to the personal interpretation of each officer?
2. What's the penalty for brandishing?
3. How long can police keep your firearm if they take it during a stop?

I'd equally appreciate posted answers or pointers to online resources. (Or Joel's book, actually...if the answer is in there, I'll search the house for it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:23 am 

It has been discussed a couple times on this forum:

http://twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3309&highlight=brandish

http://twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=766&highlight=brandish

and others:

http://www.thehighroad.us/archive/index.php/t-178138.html

Open carry COULD be brandishing in the right situation, but just walking down the street legally carrying should not be brandishing.

1. If the cop wants to give you a hard time for open carrying he/she will. That's the "risk" of openly carrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:28 am 
Longtime Regular

He's wrong.

The word "brandish" appears just twice in Minnesota law:

1. In 609.66:

Quote:
whoever possesses, stores, or keeps a dangerous weapon or uses or brandishes a replica firearm or a BB gun while knowingly on school property is guilty of a felony

As you can see, that applies only to fake guns.

2. In 609.713, terroristic threats:

Quote:
Whoever displays, exhibits, brandishes, or
otherwise employs a replica firearm or a BB gun in a threatening manner, may be sentenced to
imprisonment for not more than one year and one day or to payment of a fine of not more than
$3,000, or both, if, in doing so, the person either:
(1) causes or attempts to cause terror in another person; or
(2) acts in reckless disregard of the risk of causing terror in another person.

Open carry is perfectly legal, with a permit, and no official may interfere with legal carry with a permit (624.714, Subd. 23, Exclusivity).

Threatening someone, whether with a gun or not, may be assault. In the absence of an overt or implied threat, open carry CANNOT in itself be a crime.

I'd be interested to know who in his training is feeding him that bullshit. Can he show you class materials which assert this falsehood?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I'd be interested to know who in his training is feeding him that bullshit. Can he show you class materials which assert this falsehood?

I'd bet on one or more of his skills instructors. He's come home with some attitudes about how to treat legally carrying permit holders that I find a bit worrisome. I'm not sure how much of these attitudes are beneficial for survival as a LEO and how many are unnecessary personal prejudices passed on as gospel by instructors.

I'd be willing to PM you the school he attended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Sure. Better yet would be convincing the husband to ask his instructor(s) for the statutory basis for that assertion.

No offense to your husband -- he has you, so he knows better -- but I can't tell you how fucking thrilled I am to hear about the next generation of cops being taught to disregard the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:26 am 
Longtime Regular

I think he has some internal conflict right now about what he's been taught. I'll have to see whether he can remember where the information came from.

I'm not going to let this slide. He'll be properly educated whether he likes it or not. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:37 am 
Wise Elder

There is no "brandishing" crime in Minnesota with respect to real guns.

Short of felony Assault in the Second Degree (ADW), the closest Minnesota offenses are these two misdemeanors in Minn. Stat. sec. 609.66:
Quote:
Subdivision 1. Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes.
(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
(1) recklessly handles or uses a gun or other dangerous weapon or explosive so as to endanger the safety of another; or
(2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another;

Note that (a) requires "recklessness" and "endangerment." Often one element is missing.

Note that (b) is subject to the justification defense that the act was reasonable force under 609.06 (which encompasses all uses of force). The "capability" language was included to protect theatrical props.

Post subject: Re: Define "brandishing"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe he meant that open carry can be considered "DISORDERLY CONDUCT". Arent the cops using 609.72 as a "jab" at those that open carry? I thought we had discussions on this topic...

Quote:
609.72 DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
Subdivision 1. Crime. Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place,
including on a school bus, knowing, or having reasonable grounds to know that it will, or will
tend to, alarm, anger or disturb others
or provoke an assault or breach of the peace, is guilty of
disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor:
(1) Engages in brawling or fighting; or
(2) Disturbs an assembly or meeting, not unlawful in its character; or
(3) Engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive,
obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others.
A person does not violate this section if the person's disorderly conduct was caused by
an epileptic seizure.
Subd. 2.[Repealed, 1969 c 226 s 1]
Subd. 3. Caregiver; penalty for disorderly conduct. A caregiver, as defined in section
609.232, who violates the provisions of subdivision 1 against a vulnerable adult, as defined in
section 609.232, may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a
fine of not more than $3,000, or both.
History: 1963 c 753 art 1 s 609.72; 1967 c 242 s 1; 1971 c 23 s 71; 1988 c 689 art 2 s 236;
1991 c 279 s 34; 1994 c 636 art 2 s 46; 1995 c 229 art 2 s 7

Tick Slayer wrote:
My husband, who just finished POST training for Minnesota, informs me that simply open carrying a firearm can be considered brandishing.

1. Is brandishing objectively defined in the law, or is it up to the personal interpretation of each officer?

I'd equally appreciate posted answers or pointers to online resources. (Or Joel's book, actually...if the answer is in there, I'll search the house for it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

In the court on public opinion, or in real court, cops can get by with almost anything that is part of their 'training". It's like following 'orders".
And some judges think it is "unfair" to criticise anyone's "training", they are employees too, I guess.

Judges will bend over backward to support "probable cause" or "reasonable suspicion, anything that leads a reasonable officer...."; if it's "his training", it's reasonable no matter how wrong it is.

So, it is actually rewarding to the police to be trained with this stuff. It gives them extra powwer. The "trainers" are often lunatic LEO's that have been pulled off the streets and "promoted".

When they seize a gun they are "trained" to hold it for ballistics study, even when they know they'll never do that.

Last edited by Dick Unger on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Define "brandishing"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd assume to be charged with disorderly conduct, you'd have to be breaking the law with your behavior, not just carrying a gun.

If you're walking down the street or shopping in a store while open carrying, how could they charge disorderly conduct? I can't see it happening.

tepin wrote:
Maybe he meant that open carry can be considered "DISORDERLY CONDUCT". Arent the cops using 609.72 as a "jab" at those that open carry? I thought we had discussions on this topic...

Quote:
609.72 DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
Subdivision 1. Crime. Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place,
including on a school bus, knowing, or having reasonable grounds to know that it will, or will
tend to, alarm, anger or disturb others
or provoke an assault or breach of the peace, is guilty of
disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor:
(1) Engages in brawling or fighting; or
(2) Disturbs an assembly or meeting, not unlawful in its character; or
(3) Engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive,
obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others.
A person does not violate this section if the person's disorderly conduct was caused by
an epileptic seizure.
Subd. 2.[Repealed, 1969 c 226 s 1]
Subd. 3. Caregiver; penalty for disorderly conduct. A caregiver, as defined in section
609.232, who violates the provisions of subdivision 1 against a vulnerable adult, as defined in
section 609.232, may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a
fine of not more than $3,000, or both.
History: 1963 c 753 art 1 s 609.72; 1967 c 242 s 1; 1971 c 23 s 71; 1988 c 689 art 2 s 236;
1991 c 279 s 34; 1994 c 636 art 2 s 46; 1995 c 229 art 2 s 7

Tick Slayer wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Disorderly conduct seems to be a catch-all accusation used by some cops to justify arresting, detaining (etc.) someone whose behavior worries them without actually exceeding the law, if what y'all are saying is accurate. It doesn't have to go to trial for it to be effective. All it has to do is create a perception in the "problem person" and the general community that it is not worth the hassle to do X, Y or Z in the presence of a cop.

tepin, I don't think he meant disorderly conduct. Although he's not real academic, he tends to retain terms and ideas the way a dog hangs onto a nice, meaty bone. It's still possible I misunderstood what HE was saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

This all sounds like more of what we have come to expect with LEO's.

It is if they are being trained to protect property against criminals, which, in their definition, would include every living and breathing civilian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:37 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I'm not going to say that a cop won't threaten you with disorderly conduct, but obviously the charge would not stick at all in Minnesota. This is almost an urban legend. In Wisconsin, the threat has been said by a number of police chiefs, probably because open carry is 'legal by not being illegal'*. Minnesota, open carry is expressly legal.

*- sad it has to be described that way.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:00 am 
Longtime Regular

We have a policy against reposting classified material so if you search the forum for 'disorderly'.....

Urban Legend Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:20 am wrote:
...the Minneapolis Park Police Officer did say he could have arrested him for "disorderly conduct"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I sense that some LEOs are willfully ignorant of the carry laws, which comes from the elitist position that they should be the only ones allowed to carry firearms. It would be sad to see those officers in an instructing role.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.